Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Do CD's Degrade?, and DCC Question

From: Jackie Zucconi <lionhart@netlink.cts.COM>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 92 22:31:04 PDT
Subject: Do CD's Degrade?, and DCC Question
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

pols051@cantva.canterbury.ac.nz writes:

> A month or so ago I read a claim in a student newspaper here in New Zealand
> that CD's may begin to degrade after perhaps 7-8 years.   Is there any
> foundation to this, or is it just a baseless rumour?   At this point I am jus
> starting to convert my record and tape collection to CD, so this is of some
> importance to me.
>
> On the other hand, would I be better just to wait until the new digital compa
> cassette machines become available?  That way I could still keep many of the
> cassettes I still have (assuming that these new machines play them, which I'm
> told they do).   Does anyone know when these new machines will hit New Zealan
> and at what price (please specify $NZ or $US dollars).
>
> E-mail me directly if you don't wish to take up space on this newsgroup.
>
> Thanks to anyone who can help with these.
>
> Andrew Hoy
> Political Science Department
> University of Canterbury, New Zealand.

Cd's do deteriorate over time. I have heard different time spans though,
some being up to ten years and others being refered to in terms of
playings, such as several thousands of playings. One thing is for sure,
cd's DO LAST LONGER than either vinyl or current audio tapes. It won't
hurt to switch everything over to cd (except maybe yor wallet). As for
the "new fangled" tape players I don't know what the price will be or
when it's available but I don't think they will have the ease of
playability as cd's. CD's being operated by lasers are great for scanning
through a song, rewinding to hear your fave snippet or quickly skipping a
track you don't like.
my 2 cents
                          Lionheart

--