Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Do CD's Degrade?, and DCC Question

From: pols051@cantva.canterbury.ac.nz
Date: 24 Sep 1992 05:56:01 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Do CD's Degrade?, and DCC Question
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

A month or so ago I read a claim in a student newspaper here in New Zealand
that CD's may begin to degrade after perhaps 7-8 years.   Is there any
foundation to this, or is it just a baseless rumour?   At this point I am just
starting to convert my record and tape collection to CD, so this is of some
importance to me.

On the other hand, would I be better just to wait until the new digital compact
cassette machines become available?  That way I could still keep many of the old
cassettes I still have (assuming that these new machines play them, which I'm
told they do).   Does anyone know when these new machines will hit New Zealand
and at what price (please specify $NZ or $US dollars).

E-mail me directly if you don't wish to take up space on this newsgroup.

Thanks to anyone who can help with these.

Andrew Hoy
Political Science Department
University of Canterbury, New Zealand.