Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori anyone?

From: marc@owlnet.rice.edu (Marc Bennett Hirsh)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1992 19:48:25 GMT
Subject: Tori anyone?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@rice.edu (News)

I've been gone all summer, and it seems that Tori-talk has died down, so I may
actually be sending this to the wrong place, but you'll never stop me. So I
finally got "Little Earthquakes" this summer and was blown away, of course
(although I do get the feeling after listening to it that, as a male, I suck),
and I think that it's the single best album of the year. Still, after all of
the Tori-KaTe comparisons, I am confused that another one didn't come up. Is it
just me, or is there more of a similarity between Tori and Joni Mitchell, circa
"Blue?" Tori's songs are much more complex, but in the subject matter, musical
invention, and primarily the vocals, I can see more of a Tori-Joni connection
than I can with KaTe. Doesn't mean that I don't love 'em all, tho.

Just wondering.
--
Marc Hirsh (marc@owlnet.rice.edu)

"So Eisenhower said, `Give us the technology and you'll get all of the cow
  lips you want.'"
   --- snappy end-of-file sign-off quote from the number-one movie in
          America, Sneakers

\ /
 ^ --- ugly red source of all evil who killed this letter the first time I
 V        tried to post it