Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori Amos in SF last night

From: Ben Haller <mailrus!gatech!ucbvax.berkeley.EDU!garnet!deadman.Berkeley.EDU@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: 4 Sep 1992 19:28:18 GMT
Subject: Re: Tori Amos in SF last night
To: mailrus!ucbvax.berkeley.EDU!rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1992Sep4.011139.10992@sei.cmu.edu>
  ledgerj@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Jim Ledger) writes:
>In article <9209032137.AA24211@garnet.berkeley.edu>
>  mailrus!gatech!garnet.berkeley.EDU!deadman@uunet.uu.net (Ben Haller) writes:
>>  What did others think?  Are my complaints about the show off, or do other
>>people agree?
>Well, I saw Tori in San Diego last week, so I can't comment about the SF
>show in particular, but there are a number of similarities. I have to say
>I'm surprised that my impressions are so diametrically opposed to your own!
>Veddy intelesting...
It's probably due to the fact that the show I saw was the second in the
same evening.  I got e-mail from someone who saw the same show I did
and basically agreed with my assessment, so I'm not *totally* off base...

>>  A group called "A Man Called E" opened.  They were *very* good for an
>Personally, I thought they were a serviceable group, but not spectacular
> Just out of curiosity, did they do their "requests from the audience"
> bit? Did anyone request "Lola" or "Free Bird?"
  Not "Lola", but "Free Bird", in fact so many times that they decided
to actually play it (which was pretty funny - it was a humorous kind
of cover - they all lit lighters and stuff.  It was probably a standard
stage routine for them, but hey, Tori wasn't original either, and it *was*
funny, although I'm sure it wouldn't be the second time...

>She paused quite a bit here, too. I chalked it up to artistic license --
>trying to inject some freshness into the songs. I always thought the rolling
>of the eyes was a mannerism of hers -- do you mean rolling back into her
>head, or just, literally, rolling her eyes?
  Well, for me the pausing injected more angst into the songs than
"freshness", but maybe that's just me.  No, she really rolled her eyes,
as in her eyes pointed up towards the ceiling and then some.  She rolled
her head around too, but see, I can distinguish these two movements :->

>I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case -- the schedule of tour dates
>I saw was brutal. Regardless, though, the show was worth it to me -- it
>was certainly the least expensive concert I've seen in a long while.
  Oh, it was worth it for sure.  My girlfriend loved it, but she hadn't
seen Tori before.

>>  BTW, the t-shirt they were selling was really cool, it has lyrics to all
>>the songs on Little Earthquakes printed on the front just like the CD
>>booklet (all the songs?  I didn't actually check.  Many of them.)
>I was kind of disappointed by the shirt -- I was hoping for something more...
>artistic? I think just the cover off the CD would have been great, but that's
>just MHO.
  Well, the cover *is* on it, it's just on the back.  I don't know, I
like it.  I've been wearing it today and I've already gotten a comment on
it.  I think it *is* artistic, in the sense that it is creative and
original - I've never seen a t-shirt with lyrics to an entire album on it
before.  And the lyrics are intrinsically artistic.  Well, we disagree.

>By the way, did she do "Little Earthquakes" in SF? Seems appropriate ;^)
>but she didn't do it here and it's probably my favorite off the album. Sigh.
Yeah, she did.  As far as I recall she did everything off the album
except "Girl" and "Tear In Your Hand" - unfortunately I like these songs
much better than, say, "Precious Things".  Oh well.

(To those who are annoyed at all this Tori talk, I have just sent my
subscription notice to the RDT group, so I'll be out of your hair soon
:->)

-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)