Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Gered Mankowitz Exhibition

From: nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 92 15:28:39 BST
Subject: Gered Mankowitz Exhibition
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET (user alias)

>From: Scott Telford <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
>  PS. Also in RC is an item about an exhibition Gered Mankowitz is
>  putting on at the Cromwell & Ward Gallery in London this month. The
>  article implies that some of his work with KaTe will be there, and

There is also something in the October issue of Q magazine about this
exhibition. Below a picture of the leotard shot is the following text:

   "It's a beautiful and very successful image in a very commercial world,"
   says Gered Mankowitz of the controversial 1978 shot which introduced
   Kate Bush to a startled British public and now re-emerges as one of the star
   turns in his exhibition at the Cormweel and Ward gallery, dean Street,
   London, Sept 14-27. "I thought Wuthering Heights was a record people would
   want to hear again because they couldn't believe their ears, so I wanted to
   give them a picture they would want to see again because they couldn't
   believe their eyes. Kate was totally happy with the session at the time. I
   gather later on she came to feel it was a bit sexist, but I still think it's
   an entirely appropriate way to present a genuinely beautiful woman. Of
   course, the way the poster designers cropped the picture just below the
   nipples wasn't accidental and did no harm to the impact it made."

   The latest Kate news, incidentally, is that her album is "shaping up very
   nicely" and is promised - thatw as the word - for the first three months of
   next year.

Neil

--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk