Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mailbox

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 92 19:00:58 CDT
Subject: Mailbox
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET (KateLand)

Chris here,

   Just a bunch of comments. Sorry that some are old, but I have been out
of town over a week.

Re: FAMOUS KATE BUSH FANS
>        Slash", of "Guns 'n' Roses" is rumored to sport a large tattoo
> of Kate on his right shoulder. It's a head-and-shoulders likeness, and
> even has her name at the bottom.

   No, the thing from "G'n'R" with the reputed KTattoo is the "lead singer"
Axel. I saw a G'n'R video while watching EmptyV with the sound off, and
my "subliminal-Kate-sensing circuit" cut in. I checked the vid the they
played it next (~ 5 mins later) and called IED with this thought. IED,
to his credit, is blissfully unaware of the identities of the various
"musicians" in G'n'R, and mistook the one I meant.

Douglas Alan wrote:

>> From Ron Hill's quiz and answers:
>> 7) False.  Although there a quotes from Kate saying that her second
>> and third album weren't released in the US until the Eighties, that
>> isn't quite true.  Some copies of the album were released in 1979,
>> and there is a picture of one in the Illustrated Collector's Guide
>> to Kate Bush.

> I think I'd disagree with this answer based on the usual usage of the
> word "release".  In 1979, EMI-America did indeed press something like
> 20,000 copies of *Lionheart*.  However, they never "released" them.
> Of course, some promo copies of the album may have been sent out, and
> a few may have grown feet, as such things are want to do, but this
> pressing was never officially released, and it is said that the vast
> majority of these 20,000 records were melted down.  Any remaining ones
> should be considered very rare.

   We don't have a copy of the L.P. but we _do_ have a copy of the promo
_poster_ for that release. This would seem to indicate that a general
release was planned. The rumor at the time was that copies were sent out
to "one-stops" (the second level middle-men in the distribution chain)
and then called back to EMI when the release was canceled. Some copies
were grabbed from the returning boxes, but the majority that have seen
light of day were rescued by the guy who was supposed to destroy them.

Steve Berlin wrote about the Never Forever boxed set:

> Should I get this one, or wait until the Dreaming
> boxed set?  (No, I won't get both.  I DO like to waste some money on
> things like food & rent).  Will there be a Dreaming boxed set?  If not
> (Why the hell not?  But that's beside the point), I'll get this one...
> Maybe I'll just skip everything and wait 'til the Little Earthquakes
> boxed set...

   It would depend on the availability of non-John Carder Bush photos
of Kate. The Kick and Lionheart sets contained photos by Gered Mankowitz.
As Kate's career has progressed she has been photographed less and less
by people other than her brother. The Dreaming photo session will probably
contain photos by Guido Huradia (sp?), probably the "pill-box-hat" set
used by EMI for promo purposes in America. You can get rights to reproduce
almost any non-JCB photo through a good photo agency (for a price.)

Brian Matchick in re Tori Amos' "Sugar"

> I talked to Tori after a show in Columbus, OH about three weeks
> ago and she told me that Sugar was one of her all time favorite
> songs.  She also said that it might be on the next album.  When
> I told her that I thought she should include lyrics with b-sides
> and that I couldn't make out all the words, she sang it for me!

> Needless to say, with Tori singing just for me- literally two
> inches from my face- looking right into my eyes, I have no idea
> what she said.  I think I was in shock.  (She is one of the
> nicest and most genuine people I have ever talked to.  I love
> that woman!)

   This points up just _how_ different Tori and Kate are, and how
silly "comparisons" between the two are. Can anyone imagine Kate
singing "Walk Straight Down the Middle" for a fan hanging around?

   Kate has so many secrets that figuring out the meanings of her
songs is almost a full-time occupation. Tori is emotionally naked.

Fiona McQuarrie comments in re STRANGE PHENOMENA:

> Who or what is G? Well, as any girl knows :), G is short for "George" which
> is a colloquialism (big word) for "period". Hence the line "G arrives,
> funny had a feeling he was on his way", thus making Strange Phenomena the
> first song about PMS :)
> I think this interpretation also makes sense in the light of the rest of
> the song, which talks about the phases of the moon (supposed to influence
> menstrual cycles), the "blues", and more generally the forces of nature
> over which we have no control.

   This is very interesting. I have never heard the reference. Is it
a "commonwealth" thing? It makes quite a bit of sense, more than any
of the "G"s proposed by others.

an abashed but brave Ed Suranyi admits:

> I'm kind of embarrassed to say this, but last night I heard a Kate
> Bush song at a very unexpected place.  A strip joint!

> Some friends and I went to the Mitchell Brother's O'Farrell Theater
> in San Francisco last night.  One of the dancers did her "thing" to
> the music of "Army Dreamers".  I already knew that the "dancers" chose
> their own music, so I gave her an extra-large tip and told her, "Thanks
> for being one of the few with good taste in music!"

   A strange choice never-the-less. Maybe she has already preformed to
"Feel It," "L'Mour Looks Something Like You" and the others on Tipper's
list. Can you imagine what a really good stripper could do to "The
Sensual World?" Mmmm-Yes.

  Do you remember her name? The O'Farrell is one of the classier places
in this country. One of the dancers is a woman named Elisa Flores (AKA
Missy Manners), a former aide to Sen. Oren Hatch, who made the film
"Behind the Green Door II" as a political statement. It was the first
"safe-sex" porno film, and showed that it is possible to have carnal
relations with five men at once while avoiding sexually transmitted
diseases.

   When I was 17, I did the sound and lights for a huge gay party,
and one of the entertainers was a female stripper named "Legs Diamond"
who preformed to Pink Floyd's "The Dark Side of the Moon." Those of the
mistaken opinion that stripping is just an excuse for a woman to take
her clothes off, should see a really talented exotic dancer sometime.

                            Chris Williams
                               katefans@chinet.chi.il.us