Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

*** KATE'S SESSION WORK PART III ****

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 92 22:53:48 PDT
Subject: *** KATE'S SESSION WORK PART III ****
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Console Cowboy

        Once
        ^^^^
        From Roy Harper's 1990 album.  Kate appears for the last part
(third) of the title track, doing some fairly quiet singing of the chorus
of the song, then near the end a few seconds of louder "la-la" type
singing. The music was written entirely
by Harper - no input came from Kate at all.
        The album cover photgraphy was done by John Carder Bush, and that
(of course) Del Palmer engineered Kate's session in Kent.

(Kate comes in at "the dance of love")

Earth for all creatures
a thought for all (wo)men
right for the speechless
wrong until then?

Eyes for the laughter
thirst for the tongue
hands for together
ears for the song

the song of love
we sing in silence
every moment long

once
here to be done to as we do
with only one chance
here for the wonder of under the stars
for the one and only
once

Joy for the children
hope for the chance
men for the women
now for the dance

the dance of love
we dance just once
in unique circumstance

once
here to be done to as we do
with only one chance
here for the wonder of under the stars
for the one and only once

NO SHOWS  (songs Kate turned down)

        Moonraker - In May of 1979, Kate was invited to sing the title
track for this James Bond film.

        In a film magazine it said that you turned down the offer of
singing the title song to the James Bond film Moonraker.  Is this so, and
if so, why?
        KATE: Yes, this is true.  I thought it was a very lovely song,
but I just didn't think it was for me.  I think Shirley Bassey did it a
lot better than I would have, anyway.  (1980, KBC 5)

        Alain Stivell - The original plan, as bruited about by
_Homeground_ and the KBC, was that Kate had accepted Stivell's offer to
produce two tracks for Stivell's next album.  Then a while later she went
to France and said (so IED has been told) that she was about to go to
work on Stivell's album.
   IED picked up the album in September of 1991 (during a visit to
France), after seeing that two of the tracks had been co-written by one
John Calder <sic> Bush.  Alas! Upon closer inspection, IED discovered
that Kate is mentioned nowhere in the album's credits, nor is her
presence in any way audible (to this fan) on any of the tracks.
Moreover, in the cassette version which IED bought, there is no lyric
sheet, and since Stivell's voice is peculiarly accented and far back in
the mix, IED
hasn't even been able thus far to transcribe John Carder Bush's
lyrics. Altogether a huge fiasco from a Kate Bush fan's standpoint,
though perhaps Stivell fans will be satisfied. In any event, there has
yet to appear any explanation of the mix-up in the press, Kate-ian or
otherwise.

        Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves - According to Homeground 43, Kate
may have be approached to sing the title track, which later became a
world-wide hit, but turned it down.

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA