Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

cross post: tori reviewed

From: wiltel!dlocke@uunet.UU.NET
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 92 15:35:38 -0500
Subject: cross post: tori reviewed

Those on the tori mailing list have seen this already; those who aren't
may be interested, and there is even KaTe KonTent!
among other things.]

The review starts off with a quote from Tori:
"My songs mirror myself and I'd rather give a blow job to a stranger
than sell the rights to them."

Other interesting tidbits:
"And look, let's stuff all the Kate Bush comparisons.  I like Bush's songs a
lot, but Amos is like her the way Rickie Lee Jones is "like" Joni
Mitchell.  Kate Bush goes over the top about half the time, preferring
pretension to art; Amos isn't perfect on this score herself, but the few
times she slips appear accidental rather than intended."

"There's great sound here too: I gave the ADD/DDD SPARS code as a guess.
The voice sounds digital at times -- a little too edgy and metallic --
but this is one of the few pop records that uses the whole soundstage, with
actual layering in depth and space around instruments.  There is real
bass, and percussion has the right timbre (listen for the zills on "Silent
All These Years," another winner of a tune)."

My comments:
Blowjob: Hmmmm...  One must speculate exactly how distasteful Tori
would find selling the rights to her songs.

I still need to listen to the CD and decide what I think of the
various producers and engineers.  I can say that I really like the
sound on the Crucify Ltd. Ed. with the covers -- (i.e., Angie, Smells Like...,

and Thank You) they all were done with the same producer/engineer
combination...

Gotta run!

- -Dick