Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1992 19:23:24 -0700
To: Love-Hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM

        Steve, someone was going to upload Cloudbusting Wordperfect but
had technical troubles.  Try again in a couple of days, and if you still
can't get it contact me and we can work something out.

        MICHAEL - Welcome aboard.  Here's the lryics to Wuthering Heights
and some quotes from Kate about it.

Wuthering Heights
 Out on the wiley, windy moors
 We'd roll and fall in green.
 You had a temper like my jealousy:
 Too hot, too greedy.
 How could you leave me,
 When I needed to possess you?
 I hated you. I loved you, too.

      Bad dreams in the night.
      They told me I was going to lose the fight,
      Leave behind my wuthering, wuthering
      Wuthering Heights.

           Heathcliff, it's me--Cathy.
           Come home. I'm so cold!
           Let me in-a-your window.

           Heathcliff, it's me--Cathy.
           Come home. I'm so cold!
           Let me in-a-your window.

 Ooh, it gets dark! It gets lonely,
 On the other side from you.
 I pine a lot. I find the lot
 Falls through without you.
 I'm coming back, love.
 Cruel Heathcliff, my one dream,
 My only master.

      Too long I roam in the night.
      I'm coming back to his side, to put it right.
      I'm coming home to wuthering, wuthering,
      Wuthering Heights,

           Heathcliff, it's me--Cathy.
           Come home. I'm so cold!
           Let me in-a-your window.

           Heathcliff, it's me--Cathy.
           Come home. I'm so cold!
           Let me in-a-your window.

 Ooh! Let me have it.
 Let me grab your soul away.
 Ooh! Let me have it.
 Let me grab your soul away.
 You know it's me--Cathy!

           Heathcliff, it's me--Cathy.
           Come home. I'm so cold!
           Let me in-a-your window.

           Heathcliff, it's me--Cathy.
           Come home. I'm so cold!
           Let me in-a-your window.

           Heathcliff, it's me--Cathy.
           Come home. I'm so cold!

Wuthering Heights

        This next song's called "Wuthering Heights". and it's my single
in England.   (1978, Self Portrait)

        Well that was based around the story Wuthering Heights, which was
written by Emily Bronte.  And ah, and really what sparked that off was a
TV thing I saw as a young child.  [Apparently the Timothy Dalton telefilm
of about 1972]  I just walked into the room and caught the end of this
program.  And I am sure one of the reasons it stuck so heavily in my mind
was because of the spirit of Cathy, and as a child I was called Cathy.
It later changed to Kate.  It was just a matter of exaggerating all my
bad areas, because she's a really vile person, she's just so headstrong
and passionate and... crazy, you know?  And it was fun to do, and it took
- a night and a half?   (1980, Profiles In Rock)

        It's from the novel called Wuthering Heights - you probably might
know it better as the film.  It's about the end of the film where Cathy
has actually died and she's coming back as a spirit across the moors to
come and get Heathcliff again.  And it just struck me very strongly
because it shows a lot about human beings and how if they can't get what
they want, they will go to such extremes in order to do it.  This is
exactly what she did.  She wouldn't even be alone when she was dead.  She
had to come back and get him.  I just found it really amazing.   (1978,
Self Portrait)

        I wrote the song from Cathy's standpoint.  Cathy wants to take
Heathcliff's soul so that they can be together in the spiritual world.
(1978, Music Talk)

        I felt I just had to write a song about the tormented heroine
Cathy calling for the soul of Heathcliff so they could be together
eternally.   (????, AVD)

        How did the interest in the Bronte subject come up?
        Well, it was originally from a TV series years ago and I'd just
caught the very end of it.  And it was like really freaky, cause there's
this hand coming through the window and whispering voices and I've always
been into that sort of thing you know and it just hung around in my head.
 And the year before last I read the book and that was it, I had to write
a song about it.
        When did you write the song, cause the record came out the
beginning of year, was it January or February?
        That's right, and I'd written the song in the summer before.
Really just before we'd recorded the album, it was my latest song.
(1979, Swap Shop)

        When I first read Wuthering Heights I thought the story was so
strong.  This young girl in an era when the female role was so inferior
and she was coming out with this passionate, heavy stuff.  Great subject
matter for a song.
        I loved writing it.  It was a real challenge to precis the whole
mood of a book into such a short piece of prose.  Also when I was a child
I was always called Cathy not Kate and I just found myself able to relate
to her as a character.  It's so important to put yourself in the role of
the person in a song.  There's no half measures.  When I sing that song I
am Cathy.
        Her face collapses back into smiles.
        Gosh I sound so intense.  "Wuthering Heights" is so important to
me.  It had to be the single.  To me it was the only one.  I had to fight
off a few other people's opinions but in the end they agreed with me
        I was amazed at the response though, truly overwhelmed.   (1978,
Record Mirror)

        Well, I wrote in my flat, sitting at the upright piano one night
in March at about midnight.  There was a full moon and the curtains were
open, and every time I looked up for ideas, I looked at the moon.
Actually, it came quite easily.  I couldn't seem to get out of the chorus
- it had a really circular feel to it, which is why it repeats.  I had
originally written something more complicated, but I couldn't link it up,
so I kept the first bit and repeated it.  I was really pleased, because
it was the first song I had written for a while, as I'd been busy
rehearsing with the KT Band.
        I felt a particular want to write it, and had wanted to write it
for quite a while.  I remember my brother John talking about the story,
but I couldn't relate to it enough.  So I borrowed the book and read a
few pages, picking out a few lines.  So I actually wrote the song before
I had read the book right through.  The name Cathy helped, and made it
easier to project my own feelings of want for someone so much that you
hate them.  I could understand how Cathy felt.
        It's funny, but I heard a radio programme about a woman who was
writing a book in Old English, and she found she was using words she
didn't know, but when she looked them up she found they were correct.  A
similar thing happened with "Wuthering Heights": I put lines in the song
that I found in the book when I read it later.
        I've never been to Wuthering Heights, the place, though I would
like to, and someone sent me a photo of where it's supposed to be.
        One thing that really pleases me is the amount of positive
feedback I've had from the song, though I've heard that the Bronte
Society think it's a disgrace.  A lot of people have read the book
because of the song and liked it, which I think is the best thing about
it for me.  I didn't know the book would be on the GCE syllabus in the
year I had the hit, but lots of people have written to say how the song
helped them.  I'm really happy about that.
        There are a couple of synchronicities involved with the song.
When Emily Bronte wrote the book she was in the terminal stages of
consumption, and I had a bad cold when I wrote the song.  Also, when I
was in Canada I found out that Lindsay Kemp, my dance teacher, was in
town, only ten minutes away by car, so I went to see him.  When I came
back I had this urge to switch on the TV - it was about one in the
morning - because I knew the film of Wuthering Heights would be on.  I
tuned in o a thirties gangster film, then flicked through the channels,
playing channel roulette, until I found it.  I came in at the moment
Cathy was dying, so that's all I saw of the film.  It was an amazing
coincidence.   (1979, KBC 1)

*       The story in "Wuthering Heights" had been bugging me for about a
month.  At the time I was recording the album, I began to get down my
thoughts on Cathy and Heathcliff and their incredible relationship.  I
really enjoyed the energy between those two.   (1984, Pulse!)

*       I tried to project myself into the role of the book heroine and,
because she is a ghost, I gave her a high-pitched wailing voice.   (1978,
A Tonic For The Doctor's Daughter)

*       I developed a kind of fascination with Cathy after I saw the last
10 minutes of the television series where she was at the window and
cutting herself with the glass.  It always stuck in my brain.
        It was probably a lot to do with the fact that her name was Cathy
- and I was always called that as a child.
        My feeling about it was so strong that it kept coming back to me
again and again.
        Then I read the book and discovered that Emily Bronte had her
birthday on the same day as me, July 30, and I really, really wanted to
write a song about it all.   (1978, TV Week)

        That must mean an awful lot to you, that song, actually, mustn't
it?
        Yes, it does.  It means an awfully lot.  I mean that's really why
my name is known, because of that song, and because of the book.   (1979,
Swap Shop)

        Funny, but I've only ever seen ten minutes of Wuthering Heights -
 it looked a bit corny to me.  [This is probably a reference to the
famous version with Lawrence Olivier and Merle Oberon. - IED]   (1982,
Robin Smith)

        What inspired you to write that?  That sounds like an obvious
question, but maybe it's not an obvious answer, I don't know.
        I think it is an obvious answer.  [Laughs]  It was very much the
book.  The idea of a relationship that even when one of them is dead,
they will not leave the other one alone.  I found that fascinating.  Not
unlike the energy behind the Houdini song that we did, where the strength
of love... I mean it's incredibly romantic.  But a very nice story and
the sense of how even when she's dead she has to come back for him.
Possessive lady.  [Laughs]
        Have you ever been in love in that way or that much?
        Yes, I think love effects you in a funny way and I think everyone
loves something or someone so I think everyone understands at least on
some level the experiences.  I wouldn't say I was a terribly possessive
or ... [laughs]  I mean I would hate to think that I was like Cathy!  But
I think everyone certainly has shadows or little tinges of those things
in them.   (1985, MTV)

*       I have to ask you, though, about your high pitched range, what
reaction did you get when you came out with "Wuthering Heights" to the
actual pitch?
        I think there were a lot of different reactions, some people
really liked it, some people really didn't, and other people found it
very amusing.  For me, really, I just see it as a phase of my writing
where I was just into playing around with that kind of range.  And I find
it changes, I mean as far as I'm concerned that's an old style for me
now.  But of course a lot of people still see that as being me now.  But
that's just, you know, part of the time situation where for a lot of
people they will always think of me as "Wuthering Heights" and nothing
else.  But...
        That was partly because it was so unusual, you know.  It was
really quite unique in itself.
        Yes, I suppose so.  And also of course it was the most successful
single I've had, so that obviously does tend to stick in people's mind
alot.  But as far as I'm concerned, I feel like I'm changing, hopefully
with each album I do.   (1982, Dreaming debut)

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA