Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

*** Vermorel's Boooks ****

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1992 22:54:20 -0700
Subject: *** Vermorel's Boooks ****
To: Love-Hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM

        I'm going to be posting on and off ancient postings from the
archives of Love-Hounds that I'm digging up for my _Deeper_Understanding_
book.  To start off, Anil asked about Vermorels book(s) on Kate.  If
you've read them you can understand why they might be upset, especially
since so much of it is negative (about her brothers and fans especially)
and untrue. The latest HOMEGROUND has an article that quotes him after
being asked if he regreted that she had been upset and he said: "It was
vital to avoid thinking of her as a person rather then as an object."
Which shows where he was coming from.  What follows are quotes from
Paddy, Jay, and Kate, as well as an ancient (1985) article from Doug
about the books.

*       As far as books on Kate Bush, that have been published, they seem
to be absolute rubbish.
        PADDY AND JAY: YEAH!
        They've made Jay out to be some morose figure who hides in dark
alleys..
        JAY: Yeah. [Laughter from audience]
        And your whole family to be eccentric.  Do you resent that and
could Kate Bush put the record straight by writing her own biography?
        JAY: I think, yes, initially we resented it and it was a bit of a
shock and that's the usually process, finding out whether I wanted to do
anything to stop it, because a lot of it was quite unpleasant and very
un-[??? flattering] to me.  And we decided that we wouldn't because that
would fuel the fire of the sort of people who were doing it.
        PADDY: [Makes funny voice] Nasty Bushes!  Stop us going to press!
[???? inaudible] Us!  [Laughter from Audience]
        JAY: Actually for her to do a book we find it's rather difficult
because she doesn't get on the [??? planet] that long.  And slight
attempts were made of it but I think actually seeing your life spread out
in one big long effort is very weird sensation.  So, no, they haven't
have.  Whether they will in the future, I don't know.  I doubt it
somehow.  But I'm sure they'll be plenty more books as far as the ones
we've been talking about now.  But it's just an unfortunate aspect of the
music industry.  But, as you say, they are rubbish and they're rubbish in
so many details, not in what they say about us but just in what they call
"fact" is all wrong.  And they don't rely them at all, [??? inaudible]
        Did Fred Vermorel every meet you?
        JAY: No, nor Paddy.
        PADDY: No, not one of us.
        JAY: He wants to know where he could find us.  [More laughter]
Just for our own person protection from him, you know he went through our
dust bins, too.  Some people make a living... [??? inaudible]  (1985,
Kate Bush Con. Paddy and Jay Interview)

*       Bush, who is unerringly courteous in conversation, stumbled on
the subject of the innumerable articles and several books that have
portrayed her as starry-eyed romantic.
        There's not much I can say about them, is there? she said after a
long pause.
        When reminded that these are the only descriptions of her that
her American fans have, Bush paused again.
        Well, then, it should be very interesting when I come over there
and make my mark.   (1984, L.A. Times)