Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: News admin <news@sco.COM>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1992 11:03:37 -0700
To: rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: jondr@sco.COM (Desi The Three-Armed Wonder Comic)
Subject: Re: WA law
Date: Mon, 18 May 1992 18:03:32 GMT
Sender: news@sco.com (News admin)

I am not VNOZICK@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU (Valerie Nozick).  I didn't say:
>not to belittle this situation--without doubt censorship of music
>is a terrible thing--but i guess i've become a bit numb to it.

that's exactly what THEY want you to do.  think about it.  they have
near-infinite resources for lobbying.  once they grind down the bleeding
heart liberals, they can sail through congress unopposed.

>here's why i've been able to become numb about it.  i highly doubt that they
>would bother looking at artists such as kate and tori.  usually these laws are
>attempts to get rid of artists that are perceived as being bad influences on
>teenagers, such as two live crew, lots of rap & heavy metal.  but rarely
>do they bother with artists such as kate.  kate, tori and the like are
>perceived more as 'adult' artists

so, what you're saying is, "it's OK if they ban stuff that I don't listen
to."  un-numb yourself.

>it's easy to attack teenagers -- they don't vote, they are
>blamed by most of society for causing trouble recklessly, they can be brushed
>off as suffering from a lack of 'maturity'.

you miss the most important reason - it keeps people occupied with
nonexistent boogiemen problems (not coincidentally ones involving sex and
violence).  that way they get to worry about PORN ROCK and VIOLENT FILTHY
RAP MUSIC and they can forget about the people sleeping in cardboard boxes
three blocks over.

--
Jon Drukman (finely honed machine)              uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
This recording has now reached its conclusion.