Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Bel Canto

From: farrellj@aqua.pc.ocunix.on.ca (Farrel McGovern)
Date: Sat, 16 May 1992 14:17:28 -0700
Subject: Bel Canto
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

tessi!john@nosun.West.Sun.COM (John Zimmer) writes:

> Dan King asks:
>

> >On a different note has anybody heard of Bel Canto?
> >My friend in Geneva says this is a Norwegian duo that
> >might be of interest to love-hounds.
>

> They are to me.  I have _White Out Conditions_ and _Birds of
> Passage_.  A rather haunting blend of electronics and (I refuse
> to say 'ethereal'!) female vocals.

Hi!

        Then, of course, there is Dolly Deluxe, a duo of Swedish female
singers who put out Rock vs Opera, which is a strange mix (litterally!) of
Opera music, and Rock music. Very nice though...and the main singer is
operacticaly trained...so she tends to "hit" notes, rather than just slide
into them. They also were working on something called "Which Witch", which
(if you can excuse the alliteration :-) ) is about the atrocities of the
Church's Witch Genocide during the Middle Ages...and it is a Rock Opera! I
have one interview they did on Much Music, along with the videos for "Queen
of the Night/Satisfaction" off of Rock vs Opera, and "Eternally", from
"Which Witch". They are definitely on  topic here, since they are extreamly
influcenced by Kate Bush, and won a local radio station competition with a
tape of 13 Kate Bush covers, and one original. So if anyone else has info on
what  they are doing, and of a release for "Which Witch", I would muchly
appreciate it!

Blessed Be,
     Farrell