Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

New England/Billy Bragg

From: nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 14 May 1992 03:17:48 -0700
Subject: New England/Billy Bragg
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

>Sender: aurs01!aurxc3!whitcomb@mcnc.org
>Subject: Kirsty MacColl...NOT!!
>
>anarchyoutopia <ukevc@mcl.mcl.ucsb.edu> writes:
>>Does K mC's song start "I was twentyone years when i wrote this song,
>>and I'm 22 now but I won't be for long. people.... " etc ?
>
>This is an old Paul Simon song, titled "Leaves that are Green", or
>something similar.
>
>-Jonathan

The song on the tape is the Billy Bragg song A New England. He cribbed the
first two lines from Paul Simon. Billy wrote to Simon and asked him if
he minded - I cannot remember whether he got a reply. Kirsty did a good
cover but the original is better (IMHO).

I can highly recommend Billy Bragg to anyone who appreciates good songwriting.
N.B. his voice is not to everyone's liking and his guitar playing would not
get him a place in Dire Straits' line-up! Nevertheless he is still brilliant.

Neil
--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk