Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori vs. Kate - Live Impressions

From: mdc@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us (Melissa D. Caldwell)
Date: Wed, 6 May 1992 10:08:48 -0700
Subject: Tori vs. Kate - Live Impressions
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

craig%sware.com@mathcs.emory.edu (Craig Heath) writes:

> Well, the Tori Amos concert last night at the Variety Playhouse in
> Atlanta was quite an experience.  It was very intense, and she certainly
> has a great voice, and plays piano almost instinctually, but "enjoyment"
> isn't the right term to use.  I was very moved, and in fact felt quite
> uncomfortable at times.

Richard and I are very disappointed that we didn't get to see
her perform.  The only live performance I have seen was the MTV
program.  Her music can sometimes make me feel uncomfortable too.
Repression of unpleasant thoughts and feelings is something that
girl children are taught from a very early age, and it's
wonderful to see that she seems to have overcome this.  I love
the fact that she speaks her mind.

> Although her talent approaches Kate's, her attitude differs, for me,
> significantly.  Although Kate obviously sings from the heart, her lyrics
> are usually indirect - it is clear she is taking on the role of a character
> in a story, and, on stage, she exposes her talent to public scrutiny, but
> not, directly, her own feelings.  Tori, on the other hand, comes over in a
> much more direct way, which feels somehow more aggressive and challenging.

I believe Kate has mentioned that she is more comfortable
being the storyteller rather than the actual subject of her
work.  I love Kate's style and think that _no-one_ is better
at writing that type of music.  I also believe that we tend not
to see Kate as a real person.  I agree; Kate's music is
beautifully emotional, but she doesn't really show us who she is.

Tori's work _is_ more direct and confrontational.  In some ways
it is more courageous.  IMHO, she writes the truth, and sometimes
truth makes us uncomfortable.  She definitely has an attitude,
but it's the attitude of a strong, independent woman.

> If being successful makes her and her songs happier, I might be happier too.
> I don't want her to be Paula Abdul; just a little less bitter.

Again, I don't feel that speaking out about difficult subjects
means that she is bitter.  I am curious about her next album.
It will be interesting to see if this was just a "stage" that
she was in or if her work will always have this tone.

 Melissa Caldwell                         You want my reply?
 The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)         What was the question?
 {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!mdc           I was looking at the Big Sky
 mdc@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us