Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Loreena McKennitt

From: bill@psych.toronto.edu (Bill Pusztai)
Date: Sun, 3 May 1992 08:35:57 -0700
Subject: Re: Loreena McKennitt
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Looks like it's time for me to repost Loreena McKennitt data.

She's released four albums to date:

 _Elemental_  (1985)
   QR 101 (cassette) C$ 10.00
   QRCD 101 (CD)     C$ 20.00

   Loreena's settings of several trad Celtic pieces incl
   _Blacksmith_, _She Moved Through the Fair_, _Kellswater_, and
   a setting of Yeats' _The Stolen Child_.

 _To Drive The Cold Winter Away_ (1987)
   QR 10x (cassette) C$ 10.00
   QRCD 10x (CD)     C$ 20.00

 Music for the midwinter &/or Christmas: a collection of little-
 known Christmas carols.

 _Parallel Dreams_ (1989)
   QR 10x (cassette) C$ 10.00
   QRCD 10x (CD)     C$ 20.00

 Some trad (incl Annachie Gordon) and some original Celtic style
 compositions incl _Huron Beltane Fire Dance_, _Breaking the
 SIlence_, _Ancient Pines_.

 _The Visit_ (1991)
   QR 10x (cassette) C$ 10.00
   QRCD 10x (CD)     C$ 20.00

 To quote from the Winter 1991 Newsletter:

  "Much of the inspiration [for _The Visit_] was derived... from
  reflections upon the earlier eastern ancestors of the people we
  now call Celts... while this recording is still rooted in
  Celtic territory... I've woven in some East Indian and Middle
  Eastern instruments along with the harp and Irish pipes.

  Much of the music is original, although there is a 'different'
  version of _Greensleeves_. I've also set Tennyson's _Lady of
  Shallott_ to music, as well as a piece from Shakespeare's
  _Cymbeline_. The record has quite a separate personality from
  the others..."

 Special two-CD promo package C$ 30.00
   interview with Loreena by the CBC's Tim Wilson
   selections from previous releases
   _The Visit_ (see above) + its booklet

The address is :

     Quinlan Road Productions
     RR #5, Box 933,
     Stratford, Ontario,
     Canada, N5A 7M3

If you send them your address, they'll put you on a newsletter
mailing list, and send you release info for your area. Tell them
you heard about her over the net, their response to news of
this forum has been very positive!

Blessed Be.

                               +
 bill@psych.toronto.edu  Bill Pusztai  B5  f+ t++ w++ g+ k- s+ p