Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: rpeck@pure.com (Ray Peck)
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1992 21:39:32 -0700
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: rpeck@pure.com (Ray Peck)
Subject: Re: STuff
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1992 04:39:26 GMT

In article <65470@apple.Apple.COM> rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill) writes:

>        In _Be_Kind_To_My_Mistakes_, Kate sings:
>

>It is this that brings us together.
>

>        Does anyone have any ideas what "it" is?  Is she refering to the
>fact that they both make mistakes, or that they don't know each other, or
>what?  Like many Kate songs, I have trouble relating the "chorus" to the
>rest of the songs.

OK, I have a definate opinion about this.  First, some lyrics:

It is this that brings us together
It is this that brings us together
It's alright darling, we can do this together
It's alright darling I can think of nothing better
I don't know you and you don't know me
It is this that brings us together

I don't know what you are looking for in me
I don't know what I want but my heart is leading

Seems obvious to me that she's "talking" to someone who "doesn't know
her, and she doesn't know"  And they are about to do something which she
has to reassure the person is OK:

It's alright darling, we can do this together
It's alright darling I can think of nothing better

The song's about making love with someone for the first time, and the feelings
you have when that happens.  Is it OK that we're here in this situation just
because we find each other sexually attractive/erotic?  Is it OK to make love
with someone who you don't really know well, but have an incredible
"romantic" attraction too anyway?

That confusion and uncertainty and excitement that one feels in this situation
comes through beautifully.  You don't know what each other's (or your own!)
motivations are, or what the future will bring.  You're on eggshells that
you'll make some mistake or do something that doesn't "fit" with the person,
which will ruin the magic of the moment and of the relationship.

You're afraid of exposing your inner self, your desires, what you're feeling
at the moment, because. . .

There are secrets too dark
To let out
To let go of
To get over

So, in my NSHO, "it" is sexual attraction / the sensuality of lovemaking
between people who are new to each other.

Now *that* ought to stir up discussion!!

--

Ray Peck
Pure Software

/*