Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Leave it Open and Veg

From: rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1992 16:56:05 -0700
Subject: Leave it Open and Veg
To: Love-Hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM

        I agree that "we let the weirdness in" is the secret message and
that there is no backwards message.  However, I agree with Jackie that there
is a voice going on in the background at about 3:00 to 3:15.  Whether or not
is forwards or backwards or what it is saying I don't know.

Jon writes:

yeah.  i think skinny puppy's vegetarianism arises out of a general sense of
animal rights whereas kate's seems more based on just eating smart.

        This is, of course, possible, but in interviews Kate tends to
mention the health aspect only in passing, and concentrates more on the
animal rights stuff.  The only time she's really gone into the health aspect
is on the TV cooking show she was on, and even then she started off by
talking about animal rights.  Example:

*       Kate, how long have you been a vegetarian, all your life?
        No, I haven't.  It's about five years now.
        And what made you decide in the first place?
        Well, I think ever since I've been quite young I've always felt, not
bad, but a bit guilty about eating meat because the fact that animals are
killed and in a lot of cases in a very necessary way, you know, where it's a
big exploitation of animals.  And one day I just had this feeling and tried
to a bit of meat and this feeling - it was so raw that I just identified
immediately with the fact that it was an animal.  That this thing was alive
and it had been killed for me to eat it and I thought, "no, I'm not into
this."  So I thought I'd become a vegetarian.  And I didn't have a clue, I
had no idea what I could eat all I knew was that people didn't eat meat or
fish.  And I used to eat a lot of chocolate, so I lived for the next week
off chocolate and tea.
        Well that's not very good...
        Well, no.  This is what I thought so eventually through meeting
other friends that were vegetarians and books and things I managed to get a
diet together.  And it's fantastic, because when I ate meat I wouldn't touch
vegetables, I hated them.  But since I've become vegetarian I'll eat really
only vegetables, you know.  So it's really broadened my diet.

--
INTERNET:  rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
UUCP:   ...!nosc!ryptyde!netlink!rhill