Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Account for Usenet System <news@sco.COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1992 13:32:11 -0700
To: uunet.uu.net!rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: jondr@sco.COM (Karen Silkwood's car)
Subject: Re: Kate Bush's Secret Carnival
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1992 20:32:01 GMT
Sender: news@sco.COM (Account for Usenet System)

@hermes.intel.com:AGOUGH@AZ.intel.com (Andy Gough, x4-2906, pager 420-2284, CH2-59) writes:
>It's that kindof lilting, sinusoidal kindof organ music (especially steam
>organs).  I'm sorry I can't describe it any better than that -- I never took a
>real music appreciation class.
>      Anyhow, I've noticed that four songs have "carnival like" music:

>	_Lionheart_
>	 9. Coffee Homeground

I wouldn't call it carnival style, it's pure german music hall style.  You
need to brush up on your Kurt Weill (yeah the same one that wrote Mack The
Knife).  You'll understand exactly what conventions Kate is playing off once
you do.

Incidentally, don't judge Weill by "Mack the Knife" - years of Vegas
lounge-lizard mangling have totally obscured that songs true roots.

>	_The Dreaming_
>	 2. There Goes A Tenner

The instrumentation here is indeed somewhat reminiscent of a carnival, with
the big bass drum, rinky-tinky piano and cheesy horn section.  However, to
me, it's more like a small town parade band, what with the 2/4 stomp.  Real
"marching band" feel.

>	 3. Pull Out The Pin

I have no idea how to reconcile this one!  Chinese drums and acoustic double
bass remind you of CARNIVALS???  Man, you must go to some freaky carnivals.

>	 4. Suspended In Gaffa

It's that 3/4 waltz-time feel that you're homing in on here.  Again, the
instrumentation doesn't scream carnival at me, although the loping gait of
the 3/4 beat is a staple of calliope music.

>      So, has anyone else ever noticed this?  Are there any more carnival
>songs?  What does this mean for a) the songs, b) KaTe's music?  What say ye?

If you want to hear the ultimate it Carnival Gone Insane track, you must
check out the song "Wash It All Off" by You've Got Foetus On Your Breath.
It grabs your brain, and straps it into a nightmare trip through a mad
merry-go-round.

Other circus themed songs that I can think of: "A Day At The Dreamies" by
The Legendary Pink Dots is about an amusement park where people watch other
people's dreams on a magic `dream machine.' The music isn't particularly
circus like.

Also, don't neglect the grand-daddy of them all, "Being For The Benefit Of
Mr Kite!" by the *other* famous EMI band, The Beatles.

Blood Sweat And Tears "Spinning Wheel" is also popping to mind.  Not my
favorite song, but good for sampling.

As for other appearances in Katedom... ya got me.  Obviously Ran Tan Waltz
is a candidate what with the 3/4 beat, but again, I'd be hard pressed to
describe it as carnival-like.

--
Jon Drukman (finely honed machine)              uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.