Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Eek! A relevant question!

From: nmehl@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu (Nathan J. Mehl)
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1992 12:04:46 -0800
Subject: Eek! A relevant question!
To: rec-music-gaffa@rutgers.edu
Illegal-Object: Syntax error in Message-Id: value found on wiretap.Spies.COM:Message-Id: <920401#119#115830:nmehl@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu> ^-illegal end of message identification
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@noc2.dccs.upenn.edu

Okay, I've finally come up with a question for the various Kate Scribes
out there.  This one's been bugging me for a couple of years now, and
if I'm ever going to find someone who knows, it'll be here...

Album: The Sensual World.  Now we all know, from just about every bit
of promotion about this album, that the title track is based loosely
on Molly Brown's closing soliliquoy in Joyce's _Ulysses_.  No news
there.  But what about... the other songs?  One song in particular,
in fact...  To wit:

Has Kate ever said anything to indicate that "Rocket's Tail" is based
on/ inspired by Thomas Pynchon's _Gravity's_Rainbow_?  Has she ever
said *anything* about what inspired this particular song?

Please answer, before my brain melts.  (And please, whatever you do,
don't ask me to summarize Gravity's Rainbow.  It's not humanly possible.)

*    -Nathan J. Mehl-     * Destined to be the only queer Guns'n'Roses   *
* nmehl@pennsas.upenn.edu * fan on the planet. And probably deserves it. *