Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Happy / Internet

From: kyrlidis@athena.mit.edu (Angelos Kyrlidis)
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1992 14:17:48 -0800
Subject: Re: Happy / Internet
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@athena.mit.edu (News system)

In article <75CAB161CC00E384@sc.intel.com> AGOUGH@AZ.intel.COM ("Andy Gough, x4-2906, pager 420-2284, CH2-59") writes:

>>From:	gatech!chinet.chi.il.us!katefans@harvard.harvard.edu (Chris n Vickie)

>Only occasionally does she sing in a high key.  Now, I only have _Warpaint_,
>so maybe she sings in a higher key more often in her previous albums.

Yes, this is indeed the case! In some cases she jumps between a high and a low
voice, playing  'characters' in the song, and making them sound like duets
or 'duels' as Doug Burks put it on ecto! :)

>Now, please don't interpret this as criticism of Happy.  I just don't want
>someone reading "she sings like KaTe" and running out to buy Happy's albums
>and be expecting them to be like "The Kick Inside."

I personally think she doesn't sound like Kate. She sounds like Happy.
Just like everybody with a low voice doesn't sound like Iggy Pop or Nick Cave!

>>It was on Kate's BBS that a Kansas City DJ, Vickie Mapes, started a buzz
>>about Happy two years ago.  Rhodes soon received orders for her four
>>cassettes of electronic/vocal compositions, which she and partner Kevin
>>Bartlett had released on his homegrown label, Aural Gratification.
>
>You know, this could be a first--promotion via electronic mail.  This will
>make a great story on the talk shows (Tonight Show, etc.).  Kindof like
>Tiffany was the first to tour shopping malls.
Hey, call the TV networks!! :) Only I doubt that most of the 6000 Warpaints
were bought by usenetters... Radio is the way to break a new artist. And WXPN
in Philadelphia did its part.

>     What a great marketing strategy.  [stuff deleted]

The problem with this is that most people would tend to ignore promos that
were obviously coming from the record companies, IMHO. The way the internet
works, you hear the consumer voice, and decide. First you build trust and
faith in people's musical tastes, and then you take their recommendations
seriously. I have found out about LOTS of amazing musicians through ecto.
But that's because I trust the taste of other ecto-philes.

Interesting concept though...

Angelos
|'My ears have parasites'-hApPy RhOdEs|