Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Questions for Kate

From: rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1992 22:44:54 -0800
Subject: Questions for Kate
To: Love-Hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM

        With Cloudbusting, Edition 2 finished,  I've gone through it and
listed what songs Kate has never talked about.  Note that this doesn't
necessarily mean that we know nothing about these songs.
        I've also made up a listing of questions I would like to ask her, if
I was ever given the chance.  I'd be very interested in hearing what other
people's questions might be, perhaps having a list of informed questions
might come in handy someday.

        This is the listing of songs that have never been mentioned in
interviews, or have been mentioned only in passing:

Oh, To Be In Love
L'Amour Looks Something Like You
Room For The Life
Ran Tan Waltz
Passing Through Air
December Will Be Magic Again
Not This Time
Be Kind To My Mistakes  (Why did you change it?)
I'm Still Waiting
Ken/The Confrontation/One More Look (What was it like doing background music
for the first time?)
Candle in the Wind  (Did you feel a personal connection to Marilyn Monroe in
this song, IE "the press still haunted you.")

        You've said that "_Suspended_in_Gaffa_" was about "the idea of
seeing something incredibly beautiful, having a religious experience... but
not being able to get back there".  However there also seems to be a more
specific story also going on there, specifically in the first few lines.  Is
there?
        You've said that "_The_Big_Sky_" is about looking up at the clouds,
but there seems to be a more specific story also going on here, IE "you
never understood me, you never really tried."
        You've said that "_Running_Up_That_Hill_" is about a couple wanting
to make a deal with God.  What do the expression  "running up that hill"
have to do with that concept?
        A "deal" usually implies offering something in exchange.  Did you
think out what the couple would have offered God in "the deal"?
        Did you ever figure out what "_Love_and_Anger_" was about?
        In the "_Babooshka_" video, what is the meaning of the "warrior"
costume you were in?
        Tell me about the scenes in "_Breathing_" from the explosion on.
        Tell me about the "_Love_and_Anger_" video?
        In the past you have expressed the idea that songs should be
ultimately positive, if possible.  Yet sometimes you write music that is
negative, sometimes backing away from it later (IE "_Head's_We're_Dancing_"?
 Do you feel a conflict of always wanting to be positive, but having things
come out negative?  And does it ever lead you to back away from a song or a
concept for a song?
        You said at the convention that you were going back to a more simple
style of songwriting.  In the process, have you gone back and listened to
some of your pre-fame songs?
        What's your current favorite album?  (Interestingly enough she
hasn't been asked this since Hounds of Love days.  Most people would say
either _Hounds_of_Love_ or _The_Dreaming_, I wonder if she would?)
        What is your current view on _The_Sensual_World_ album?
        When you see others (Madonna, Paula Abdul, etc) dancing and using a
head mike, do you think of yourself as an innovator?
        Do you think that others will be copying the stuff in your new tour
10 years from now?
        What would you like the purpose of your music in your audience's
life should be?  What is the current purpose of your music in your life?
        Your fans tend to use your work as a springboard for their own
creativity, IE drawings, stories, fan magazines, etc.  What are your
feelings about this?
        You've talked about how when you were around 16 that was a change of
life for you, and you changed your name.  More recently you have talked
about how you feel your life has changed after _The_Sensual_World_, can we
now expect you to change your name again?  (joke question)
        You said at the convention that you have been dancing, have you
continued?
        How are your cats?

--
INTERNET:  rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)