Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Delaware/little light/Sarah

From: Tim O'Connor <toc@instance.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1992 12:23:46 -0800
Subject: Delaware/little light/Sarah
To: Love Hounds <love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com>

REGARDING                Delaware/little light/Sarah/Gorey/Lawnmower Man
people:

Baa baa, woof woof.

Kate stuff...

Years ago my brother in law, mostly born and raised in Delaware, reported to
me that his friends all thought that Kate must have been born or lived part
of her life in that area since she explicitly mentions it on all of her
albums.  Why else would she always give thanks to DEL, MA, and PA?
(DELaware, MAssachusetts, and PennsylvaniA, according to the US post office)

A bit ago someone submitted part of an interview wherein Kate claimed that
the "little light" at the start of the Ninth Wave is a flashlight pinned to
the life jacket of the protagonist.  Too bad.  I always enjoyed the hook of
the "little light shining" and "little light begins to bleed" as both
representing the woman in the water.  Sigh.  Sometimes I think Kate isn't
totally aware of the symbols she uses.  (BTW, not to start old arguments,
but am I the *only* one who believes the protagonist of the Ninth Wave is
saved during the spoken part of the Jig of Life?)

almost-Kate stuff...

Just heard Solace last night (while cleaning up dinner, helping one child
with spelling, another with math, and hearing another torture his mother in
the bathtub, not the best of listening environments) and I don't get the
comparisions to Kate's voice.  Sinead O'Connor perhaps, maybe even Pheobe
Snow.  But no Kate I ever heard.  And when do we start calling her Sarah?
:-)

non-Kate stuff...

Gorey fans and would be fans should not overlook his illustrations of other
authors works.  His portraits of the Brontes, Mary Shelley, Aldous Huxley
and others in Instant Lives by Howard Moss, for instance.  Also Red Riding
Hood by Beatrice Schenk de Regniers, RumpleStiltskin by Edith H. Tarcov, or
Penny Candy by Edward Fenton.  One of my personal favorites (both story and
drawings) is The Shrinking of Treehorn by Florence Parry Heide.  Also note
that some of these authors may be Gorey himself as he has written under
other names (all of which I forget).  The man is very prolific.  Didn't he
do the sets for a Broadway production of Dracula?

If you like Gorey's sense of humour (or whatever it is :-) check out Charles
Addams.  If you like Charles Addams, check out Gahan Wilson.

Re: Lawnmower Man.  Fans of 1950's B-grade science fiction films should not
be swayed by bad reports of Lawnmower Man.  The plot is obvious (basically
Frankenstein), the ending throws in all the cliches which make it even more
predictable, and the special effects are just a bit above Tron (tho', in all
fairness, they're supposed to be) but it's just as fun to watch as Forbidden
Planet or When Worlds Collide or any of the others.  8 out of 10 for
enjoyment, 3 out of 10 when compared to All the Films I've Ever Seen.

--
"A typical long haired half mad computer programmer on a typical computer
keyboard with odd toys scattered conservatively about."

to'c