Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

misc.

From: judi@coyote.datalog.com (Judi McKernan)
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1992 17:15:00 -0800
Subject: misc.
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

    Since someone mentioned it, the fellow that does the wonderful illustrationsfor the opening credits of "Mystery" is Edward Gorey. He tends to have a dark,
sarcastic sense of humor and tone to his work, especially in one of his most
famous cartoon-illustrated pieces of prose, called "The Gashlycrumb Tinies",
which basically is an alphabet of little children whose names start with the
various letters of the alphabet, and how each one dies a different  violent
death. For example:  "A is for Amy who fell down the stairs, B is for Basil,
devoured by bears......" etc. I'm paraphrasing, so forgive me if I don't get
it exactly correct. His stuff is intensely funny, in a sick sort of way. His
various Amphigorey collections are a good intro to his work, if you can find
them. They're now collector's items, and the only way I've found them is
through luck at used bookstores.

   Also- yes, Lawnmower Man is supposed to be based on a Stephen King short
story, but you coulda fooled me! The movie is nothing like the King original,
but that's par for the course with most King movies. The flick had some pretty
interesting special effects, but the actually story line was pretty lame and
very stupid.

                                        judi

p.s. - I was planting some bedding flowers out in my yard today, some of which
were various types of a flower called "stock", believe it or not, and through
the open windows of my house I could hear the hauntingly beautiful melody
of Kate's "Night Scented Stock"...... sent chills up and down my spine!