Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

the dreaming (and constantly)

From: stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender)
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1992 10:16:24 -0800
Subject: the dreaming (and constantly)
To: Love-Hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Last night, as if to belie my normal lack of remembrance of
dreams, I had several.  A couple were basically semi-original
ST:TNG episodes (go figure), but one dream involved Kate in a
truly unusual fashion.

(Insert wavy screen distortion here)

It was Thursday night, and I was preparing to watch _The
Simpsons_.  I began reading e-mail and netnews, and soon lost
track of time, until it was nearly 8:00.  So I ran over to the TV
and turned on the VCR to start recording.  Alas, the balky VCR
cabling setup had gone way south on me and I began frantically
trying to adjust it all in time.  Unfortunately, I seemed to be
spending a lot of time figuring out how to make this VCR setup
menu get off the screen so I could at least watch the TV.  So
when I finally got everything adjusted, I had missed the first
act of _The Simpsons_ and was in the middle of the commercial
break.

The commercial break ended, and then (this is the intensely weird
part) Kate was a special guest on the Simpsons.  She wasn't drawn
like a cartoon, she was there in real life over the top of the
animation.  She sang a couple of songs, talked for a bit, then we
saw a blackboard listing the song titles:  "Burning Wheel"
(definitely a post-HoL song; I remember it had drum machines and
was reminiscient of "Experiment IV") and a less accurately
remembered title along the lines of "I Hadn't Got You What I Do
Not Want" (Kate pokes fun at Sinead O'Connor?).  Then there was
this animated scene of a snowy winter road, where a car drives up
and Kate gets out (she's still live-action, not animated), poises
herself for a bit, and runs offscreen.

I think at this point I woke up in sheer amazement.

I am worried about how much my dreams seem to involve TV,
though--my TV involvement is limited to watching ST:TNG reruns,
_The Simpsons_, _Parker Lewis Can't Lose_, and _Black Adder_
reruns on our local PBS station.  And Kate videos, of course.

Steve VanDevender 	stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu
"Bipedalism--an unrecognized disease affecting over 99% of the population.
Symptoms include lack of traffic sense, slow rate of travel, and the
classic, easily recognized behavior known as walking."