Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

DAVE GILMOUR INTERVIEW

From: rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1992 22:07:31 -0800
Subject: DAVE GILMOUR INTERVIEW
To: Love-Hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM

DAVE GILMOUR INTERVIEW
----------------------
by Greg Torrington

FROM CHEZ FM 106 RADIO
FROM A REPRINT IN BREAKTHROUGH FIVE

        [Transcribed by Ron Hill.  Thanks to Jackie Zucconi for supplying me
with this interview]

        CHEZ: I'd like to ask you about Kate Bush.  She is popular in very
small pockets of North America - this being one of them.  I know that you
had a lot involvement in starting her career off.  I would like to talk to
you about the beginning of Kate Bush's career in regards to you.  How did
you first meet her?

        DAVE: A friend of mine has a friend who told my friend that his
sister was very talented.  This friend of mine came to me and said, "My
friend has a very talented sister" and would I listen to her.  And I said
"sure", so I listened to her.  I thought she was very good.
        I did some recording at her house, her parent's house, and then I
had her up to my studio and recorded some things.  I decided that the way
she sang and played the piano, just on its own, was not going to be very
effective for convincing A&R men at record companies of her value.  So, I
decided to pick some songs out of all the songs that she had and go in and
record them properly in a recording studio with an engineer, a producer, an
arranger and an orchestra.  I organized all that, chose some songs and
recorded three tracks which I then played to the EMI people over here and
they made a deal with her and signed her up.  It's quite simple.  The three
tracks that I had recorded, I sold them to EMI as well, and two of them were
on her first album.  One was "The Man With the Child in His Eyes" and one
was called "The Saxophone Song".

        CHEZ: You are credited as the executive producer on these tracks.
[Dave indicates affirmative].  What was the song that she played when you
first heard her, when you first went to her house?

        DAVE: I can't remember.  I know that one of the first songs that I
noted was "The Man With the Child in His Eyes", our of many songs that she
had written.  She was only 14, I think, when I met her, maybe just about 15.

        CHEZ: Did you see that there was potential, commercial talent, or
just artistic potential?

        DAVE: I didn't realize how commercially successful she might be.  I
thought of her more really, I suppose, in the terms of someone like Joni
Mitchell; the level of a lady who's very talented, but would appeal to a
more esoteric audience.  But she had different ideas.

        CHEZ: Well, this certainly came out in later years.  Are you still
in touch with her or is it pretty much a fair accompli?

        DAVE: Well, my involvement with her career specifically stopped at
the moment that I sold her on.  I retained a small financial percentage on
the tracks that I did that were on the first album, and I got my expenses
back out of EMI when I sold her on.  I sold the tapes to them for what it
cost to put them together.  I haven't had any financial interest in her
career.

        CHEZ: Are you still friends?

        DAVE: Yes, I see her quite often.  I actually sang some backing
vocals on her last album on a track called "Pull Out the Pin."

--
INTERNET:  rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
UUCP:      ...!nosc!ryptyde!netlink!rhill