Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Julie Covington (from Peter Manchester's post)

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1992 04:50:00 -0800
Subject: Julie Covington (from Peter Manchester's post)
To: clout!wiretap.spies.com!love-hounds

Vickie here.

In article <01GGAPPPUQS0B8JMWY@ccmail.sunysb.edu> PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.EDU (Peter Byrne Manchester) writes:
>       I think I've unearthed a direct influence on Kate Bush's breakthrough
>video for "Breathing."  The sequence in which Kate falls back out of the
>'womb' finally to appear in our world before the altar to the sun looks very
>much to me like it is based on a transitional scene in the first episode of
>the second season of Rock Follies, "Rock Follies of '77," called "The Band
>Who Wouldn't Die."  Anybody remember this?

I don't, but Chris does. It aired in Kansas City. Thanks for posting
<fascinating details deleted>

>       When the series came back for a second year, its fictitious band the
>"Little Ladies," Dee (Devonia Rose, Julie Covington), Q (Nancy Quinelle de
                                     ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Julie is maybe best known for the song "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" but she
also is in the Kate history books for covering "The Kick Inside" and a
very good version it is too!

>Longchamp, Rula Lenska), and Ann (Charlotte Cornwell), were an actual hit pop
            ^^^^ ^^^^^^

Blast from the past...she starred in a series of commercials in the US. I
don't remember any details of any, but her name was as much a catch-phrase
as "Where's the Beef?" for a while.

>the door to Kitty's office into a darkness into which they fall, downwards,
>in slow motion, slowly rolling down a barely visible black inflated huge
>plastic pillow.  The effect is exactly the same as what Kate does in
>"Breathing" in her slow-motion twisting fall into time and destiny.  It looks
>to me like technically both sequences were done the same way, with a large
>inflated dark plastic pillow.
>
>       Anybody out there in a position to comment?

Not really, I just wanted to thank you for this post. It certainly sounds
possible. Chris vaguely remembers reading somewhere (perhaps in an old
issue of Homeground??) that Kate and Julie Covington are friends too.
Perhaps. Whatever, Julie certainly liked the song TKI enough to record
it and treated it very respectfully. She has a beautiful voice.

(Unrelated, but I wanted to drop it in...I say "treated it respectfully"
above and I don't want to imply that I dislike covers that don't treat
Kate's songs respectfully. My all-time favorite Kate cover is Jah Werzel's (?)
cover of "Wuthering Heights" which many Kate fans (among those who have
heard it) can't stand. I think it's *wonderful* and it's very disrespectful!
I learned to love it after listening to it on headphones quite a few times.
It's a lot of fun.)

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us