Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: In a Warm Room

From: Desi The Three-Armed Wonder Comic <jondr@sco.COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1992 15:57:43 -0800
Subject: Re: In a Warm Room
To: rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sco.COM

[WARNING.  This article is extremely ill-tempered and vicious, even by my
standards.  And if you think this is bad, you should've seen the first
draft.]

I thank my lucky stars that I am not barger@ils.nwu.EDU and I didn't say:
>It's interesting to me to see thru email how deeply shared my views are, in
>certain corners, and it encourages me to carry this on.

Clever ploy whereby Jorn tells us that people are writing to him saying,
"good job boy, go get 'em."  Well, I've got my supporters as well (you know
who you are, and thanks for the encouragement.  It ain't easy being feisty
all the time.) so I guess I can carry on as well.  I have been validated,
hallelujah!

>This argument is not going to be resolved by sound-bites

Translation: Since I can't write pithy epithets, I'll claim that they are
an invalid means of expression.

>it's a heavy issue that we can only get clear on by careful communication.

Which is why you are promptly buggering off to another mailing list.  I am
in awe of your logic.

>(Of course, the people we're having problems with aren't careful readers,
>so this will all be going over their heads, which will make them
>uncomfortable and itchy-to-lash-back-dumbly.  That's some catch, that catch
>22...)

Insult those who would disagree with you before they even get a chance to
rebut, hence invalidating their arguments before you see them.  Be
appreciative, friends, this is real courage we're seeing here.

>I'm realizing this morning that probably the "cut" between the 'Rudis' and
>the 'Homegrounders' is also the cut between fans who have no personal
>artistic urges, and fans who are on the path of self-discovery thru
>creative effort.  Everyone who has set out on the latter path will remember
>how hollow *heckling* suddenly sounded, once you'd started imagining being
>on the receiving end.

Despite the fact that I wish to wear neither the mantle of `Rudi' nor
`Homegrounder' I suspect that you have filed me firmly in the former camp.
However, I take great exception to the assumption that those who disagree
with you have no `personal artistic urges.' I myself have many such urges,
which I express by creating and exhibiting sculptures of Famous Presidential
Nose Cancers made entirely out of cat vomit.

Surely even a blockhead like you can see the fallacy in your logic.  You
have strung together two entirely unrelated premise in the vain hope that
nobody will notice.  That is generally known as a non sequitur.
Fortunately, I'm around to set the record straight for the miniscule portion
of the readership whose IQ is less than that of a doorknob.

>But these kids who've never dared to make a personal artistic experiment,
>to let out what's inside them, and then *listen to how it would sound to a
>stranger*, trying to learn to say it so the stranger can hear it the way
>they meant it...

Pfft.  Making records is EASY.  You try getting up in front of a crowd and
performing live.  Now *that* is nerve-wracking.  Yes, I felt pride when I
finally wrapped my first tape, but it was nothing compared to the rush of
performing Shakespeare or playing in a band in front of a living, breathing
audience.

What you are doing with your pathetic little spin-off mailing list is hand
crafting an audience of shills, ready to squeal in piggy delight at your
puerile pustules of pusillanimous prose.  You won't stand up in front of the
entire world and shout your theories to the heavens because you haven't got
the guts.

>I want a place to make these experiments and take those chances with
>sympathetic fellow-journeyers.  Writing about what Kate's music does for us
>would surely be the common thread.  It really seems a shame that r.m.g.
>should be too much of a no-man's-land to permit this, but now that I think
>about it: NO, we can't crosspost everything to rmg-- we'd lose 9/10ths of
>our contributors!

I can't believe Stev0's comment about posting 11 year old interviews being a
trifle obsessive has come to this.  If it were me, I'd say, "yes, I am
totally obsessive" and get on with it.  If you actually had something
constructive to say about KT's music rather than this stream of empty babble
you've indulged in lately, you might find out just how hospitable the
love-hounds climate actually is.  But instead you say, "Oh, I can't EXPRESS
MYSELF here because someone might disagree with me.  I'd better start my own
mailing list, where I can cower from the wrath of the evil nasty
love-hounds."

Run away with your flock of cowardly toadies.  I'll join your sick, fascist
regime the day my bones are found rotting in an Bulgarian convent!

I know you think that leaving will make me King Of The Desolation, but I'd
rather rule with the sinners than squirm with the saints any old day, if
you're any example of what canonization means.

--
Jon Drukman (finely honed machine)              uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
Hypocrisy is a question of degree.  -- Donald Regan