Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Socket Man": one for the Unix hackers....

From: Scott Telford <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1992 07:56:52 -0800
Subject: "Socket Man": one for the Unix hackers....
To: w@dcs.ed.ac.uk
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk

Just noticed this in a collection of computer-related song parodies in
the alt.folklore.computers newsgroup. I'm afraid if you're not a Unix
hacker, it'll not make any sense at all...

Title    : Socket Man
Original : Rocket Man
Group    : Elton John
Author   : Wes Morgan <wes@engr.uky.edu>
Intro    : While attempting to thrash a socket-ridden BSD package to some
           semblance of System V-ism, the following ditty camne unbidden....
Song     :

                      Socket Man
             <with apologies to Elton John>

I got my source last night from FTP
Compiling up at 2 AM
And my system is screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaming
"Undefined" at me.....

I thumb through books, I use my 'man'
It does no good, you see
'Cause I'm on System Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive
And not BSD

Chorus:
And I think it's gonna take a lot of time
'Till named pipes bring me where I get to find
That BSD's not worth a pile of slime (oh no no noooooooo)
I'm a Socket Man.....

Socket Man....burning up the CPU for days
Socket Man....hacking through the SVID maze....

Verse 2:

I've tried so many things, they all have failed,
It's lonely in the lab
And noone elllllllllsssssssssee
Has a clue....

And all the techniques I don't understand
It's just a kludge to make it work...
A Socket Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan
Socket Man.....

Chorus:
And I think it's gonna take a lot of time
'Till named pipes bring me where I get to find
That BSD's not worth a pile of slime (oh no no noooooooo)
I'm a Socket Man......

Socket Man.....Hacking through the piles and piles of C
Socket Man.....Building up a hate for BSD....

<Repeat Chorus and fade>

--
Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,   /   "I think she's one of the
University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Rd,      /    greatest composers of the