Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: UK NFE CD vs US?

From: larry@csccat.cs.com (Larry Spence)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1992 22:33:59 -0800
Subject: Re: UK NFE CD vs US?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1992Jan12.081940.1499@csccat.cs.com> I wrote:

>I spotted a cheap used UK CD of NFE yesterday.  Probably traded in by
>one of you folks who re-purchased your UK CDs in the Boxed Set. %)
>Anyway, when I picked up a used UK CD of _Hounds_ a while back, the sound
>was clearly superior to the US disc.  I know I've asked this before, but
>has anyone compared the US and UK NFE CDs?

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I bought the used UK disc today, and just
spent a while comparing it to the EMI America copy.  Conclusion: the UK disc
is definitely superior, although the difference is not quite as drastic as
with some parts of _Hounds_.  There is still plenty of tape hiss, and the
better high-end on the UK disc means that you sometimes hear a bit more of
it.  As others mentioned, the hiss is faded out between tracks on the UK CD.
The total disc times are 37:20 (US) and 37:32 (UK); I think this is due to
a little bit of extra time between tracks, but I haven't double checked.

The main improvements in the UK mastering seem to be slightly less distortion
and somewhat more extended bass and treble.  Kate's voice in particular has
better imaging and is livelier.  Cymbals, synth-harpsichord, etc., are cleaner.
There's not any one spot on NFE like the start of "Mother Stands For Comfort,"
where the UK CD makes the US CD look completely pathetic, but the UK NFE is
still an improvement on the US disc.  Anal-retentive details:

     US: label:     EMI America
         catalog #: CDP 7 46360 2
         pressing:  Shape Optimedia 10083 SRC-02
         lyrics?:   yes

     UK: label:     EMI
         catalog #: CDP 7463602
         pressing:  EMI Swindon CDP 746360 2 AR 4 : 2 : 2
         lyrics?:   yes

So far, that makes one UK _Hounds_ and one UK _NFE_ for a total of $20.  Anyone
have a used UK _Dreaming_ CD they'd like to sell?

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat.cs.com