Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: argh! what is it about record stores, anyway?

From: Jeff Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1992 06:21:14 -0800
Subject: Re: argh! what is it about record stores, anyway?
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Lisa at Georgetown writes:

>   mouth music i found, finally, after three weeks of looking (
>extended by the additional trouble of finding a cd instead of a cassette).

Where did you find it?!  I've been half-heartedly looking around DC for
Mouth Music for ages!

>this past weekend i went to the great tower records, you know, the definitive
> store-- they still don't have a copy of mouth music.  they also didn't have
>loreena mckennitt or tori amos.  what kind of conspiracy is this?  they also
>didn't, and still don't, have any copies of rm/citw.

First all, Tower is hardly definitive; you're more likely to find that sort of
thing at Olsson's in Georgeotown (or Dupont, or downtown, or bethesda, etc).
The bulk of my imports come from the one in Georgetown.

Secondly, is the Tori Amos available in the States yet?  Someone posted some-
thing saying something or other about the label getting ready to release the
album; unfortunately, there was no date with it, so I wasn't sure if the
album had been released yet.  I haven't found a copy m'self.

As for RM/CITW, well, I dunno.  I spent a lot of time looking for the single,
and a friend finaly found a copy for me out in Rockville at Yesterdayand
Today.  I went back a week or two later to get a copy for my father, and
they were out.  Whilst in the area, I decided to drop in at the Rockville
Tower, and I was shocked and impressed by their selection of singles--including
8 or 9 RM/CITW singles.

>and i can't find a copy of tww even in the alternative suburban stores (they
>must be sold out already, now that i will actually have the money to buy a
>copy)

I assume you're talking about the box set and not the TWW single?  The only
copy I've seen in the DC area was a Japanese box in the Dupont Circle Olsson's
for $180 or so.

>is dc that far behind in the music scene?????
>(it also really peeves me that in order to find some of the more collectible
>things i have to go out to suburbia...)

In a lot of ways yes, and a lot of ways no.

>just griping... but if there are dc folks who have found tori amos or loreena
>mckennitt, please please please let me know where!

Sounds like we need to trade record stores...;-)

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "Show what you are / Be strong, be true  |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | Time for you to / Be who you are."       |