Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Lloyd Cole

From: aurs01!aurw11!whitcomb@mcnc.org (Jonathan Whitcomb)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1992 11:51:11 -0800
Subject: Lloyd Cole
To: mcnc.uucp!aurs01!Love-Hounds%wiretap.Spies.COM@mcnc.org

>I know this is a strange place (or is it ?) to ask silly questions about other
>artists than Kate, but I've found some new (to me) music, and I would like to
>know more. So here's the question :

>Does anyone know anything about Lloyd Cole.

>I got "Lloyd Cole and The Commotions 1984-1989" the other day, and I
>absolutely love it. This a collection of stuff from other albums, however,
>and I'd like to know something about the original albums.

Well, in fact this *isn't* the right place, but considering the lack of any
real Kate news, I'll oblige you.

Lloyd Cole (originally from Scotland) and the Commotions put out three
studio albums:  Rattlesnakes (1984), Easy Pieces (1985) and Mainstream (1987).
I like Rattlesnakes and Mainstream the best of the three, but Easy Pieces has
some strong moments as well.  Several singles were released during this period,
and all sported non LP B-sides.  I think some of the B-sides are actually his
best songs, as they aren't as overproduced as much of the album material.  Most
of the B-sides are compiled on the UK CD's, except for the "Mainstream"
singles.  This is really a shame, because the B-side to "My Bag", "Jesus Said",
is perhaps my favorite LC&C song.

The band broke up after Mainstream, and Cole moved to New York City.  He has
since put out two solo albums:  "Lloyd Cole" in 1990, and "Don't Get Weird
on Me, Babe" in 1991.  Both of these continue in the style of the Commotions
records (Cole retained the services of Blair Cowan, the Commotions'
keyboardist, and adds Fred Maher on drums, Robert Quine on Guitars and
Matthew Sweet on Bass).  I like both of these albums, although I wish Cole
hadn't decided he wanted to play lounge music on the second side of his
most recent album.

Cole also plays guitar on Matthew Sweet's 1991 masterpiece, "Girlfriend"
(my pick for album of the year).

-Jonathan
whitcomb%aurgate@mcnc.org