Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

london music et cet

From: bsbbs!cynthia@uunet.UU.NET (Cynthia Rosas)
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1992 11:51:29 -0800
Subject: london music et cet
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

ANGELINE@MARY.FORDHAM.EDU writes:

> 	As for "Room For the Life", yes, it's very woman-oriented, but I wonder
> how many die-hard feminists would appreciate a song that celebrates women due
> to their ability to give birth?

Well, it depends what you mean by "die-hard feminists".  I
consider myself to be a feminist, I'm not sure what you define
as hard- core, but I pretty much hate putting people in
behavioral roles based strictly o gender, that is, without
their choice.
  ANyways, what I consider a true (die-hard?) feminist to be
is someone who celebrates people of both genders for all the
things they are, and feele that each gender should have the
choice to be all they wanna be.  I realize that's simplistic,
but feminism is not a complicated concept.  And in that vein,
I believe a feminist would and should be equally happy with a
tribute to motherhood, or the ability to create life, as with
a tribute to the workingg woman, or a woman who decides to
have no children, etc., etc.

> 	And as for surnames, in Germany the couple has the choice of whose last
> name to take.  It's not that radical an idea.
>                                               --John

Yes, I know several people in Germany, that's true and
intersting.  However, we don't live there, we live here in the
USA, and while nobody claimed it was a "radical" idea, it is
still not in wide usage or acceptance here in the USA.

Went to my uncensored, non-facist video store the other day
(American Video Network - are there any near anyone else?)  to
rent The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover.  Took it home,
happy grinning, only to be dismayed when I see that it is
rated R, when I know good and well that this movie was NC-17.
I was infuriated, and refused to watch it.  I huffed into the
vid store the next day, where a young snot tried to tell me
(ME!) that R meant uncut, while NC-17 meant it was cut.  Ha ha
ha ha ha ha!  He and the entire staff received a stern lecture
from me on movie ratingas as well as an admonishment that they
better get their information right, and that if I wanted films
that had been censored I could have gone to the pigs at
Blocbuster which is MUCH closer to my house!

The young snot went and looked in a big book, and sheepishly
showed me where I was completetly right.  The NC-17 version
was 123 minutes long, while the R-rated version was 100
minutes.  He apologized profusely, as well he should have, and
told me he had no idea, and that he would call their
distributor first thing in the morning and order the NC-17
version.   He credited my account with the price of the video
rental and licked my shoes as I left.  He even thanked me for
"educating" him.  I smiled and told him graciously that it had
been my pleasure to do so.    At least he ate crow willingly.
:-)

Okie-dokie

Cynthia

----