Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

misc questions

From: rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1992 20:18:36 -0800
Subject: misc questions
To: Love-Hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM

David says:

Okay, after months of wondering, I give up.
What the heck is the GLC?  (besides a Mazda  =:)

David.

I says:

        For the full story, see HOMEGROUND 38, but basicly it was the
Greater London Council, set up in 1965 to administer a new Greater London
region.  When "Ken" Livingstone, who was very left-wing, won the election in
1982, Margaret Thacher abolished the GLC in '86.  Kate's song is from The
Comic Strip film that Kate did the music for, including the song "Ken" and
the instrumentals, was a take-off on this.  In a way, Kate involvement in
the film was the closest she's ever been to being involved in party
politics.

Jean says:

... the Hammer horror film.

What does "Hammer" refer to?  A movie studio?  The person who
originated the film genre?  Anyone?

        I don't know, but it's not where Kate got the title of the song.

        The song is not about, as many think, Hammer Horror films.  It is
about an actor and his friend.  His friend is playing the lead in a
production of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, a part he's been reading all his
lfe, waiting for the chance to play it.  He's finally got the big break he's
always wanted, and he is the star.  After many rehearsals he dies
accidentally, and the friend is asked to take the role over, which, because
his own career is at stake, he does.  The dead man comes back to haunt him
because he doesn't want him to have the part, believing he's taken away the
only chance he ever wanted in life.  And the actor is saying, "Leave me
alone, because it wasn't my fault - I have to take this part, but I'm
wondering if it's the right thing to do because the ghost is not going to
leave me alone and is really freaking me out.  Every time I look round a
corner he's there, he never disappears."  (1979, KBC 3)

--
 rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
NetLink Online Communications * Public Access in San Diego, CA (619) 435-6181