Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Network news <news@csv.warwick.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1991 14:53:14 -0800
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: maunz@warwick.ac.uk (Winja)
Subject: Re: Mystery words in "There Goes a Tenner"
Sender: news@csv.warwick.ac.uk (Network news)
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1991 22:52:53 GMT

In article <PNcDDB4w165w@darkside.com> user@darkside.com writes:
>In "there Goes a Tenner," there are some mystery male voices spoken in
>the background during the lyrics:
>
>One of the rabble needs Mummy
>The government will never find the money

This sounds right to me. Very like some old b&w films from Elstree and
Ealing I remember seeing. They could easily mean exactly what they say.

>... Right
>after those lines, Kate whispers something in the background during the
>lyrics:

>I've been here all day
>A star in strange ways

It might help you to know that there is a notorious old prison in
Manchester called "Strangeways". This is a nice little pun of Kate's.

>Now this seems a little more intelligible, but I'm still at a loss. I
>know it's fun to have unsolved mysteries in Kate's music, but I've had
>this CD for 5 years now and I WANT to know the truth!

This is not based on anything the Kateness herself has said, but is an
informed opinion you understand.

>By the way, has anybody noticed that at the end of "Hello Earth," you can
>hear dogs barking, however so faintly? Are these the "hounds of love" or
>a figment of my imagination?

Next time I will listen with interest!

		Yours,
			an amateur love-hound.