Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

JEWELBOX ADVOCATES AND MANUFACTURERS

From: ak3_ferguson.asw.navairtestcen%pcgate@NATC-FW.NAVY.MIL
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1991 11:22:00 -0800
Subject: JEWELBOX ADVOCATES AND MANUFACTURERS
To: "love-hounds" <love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com>

Ben Haller says about the RM/CitW CD single:

>5. The packaging sucks.  I wonder how many people do what I do:
>when I get a CD in one of these non-jewel-box "eco-packaging"
>pieces of crap, I go out and buy an empty jewel box and
>transplant the CD.  Therefore I use *two* pieces of packaging
>instead of *one* - hardly a big win for the ecology.  But with a
>CD collection the size of mine, those packages mess up my
>organization, and aren't worth the hassle.  Not to mention that
>I cant get the CD out of them with one hand, one of the great
>assets of jewel boxes (changing CDs while driving is
>essential...)  So how do we communicate to these stupid record
>companies that longboxes are bad, but jewel boxes are good?
>U2's new album is particularly bad, it doesn't even say the
>group/album on the spine.  What planet are they from?

I cannot agree with you more!  This inferior packaging is being
forced upon us under the pretense of concern for the environment.
What a crock!  From what I gather, Time-Warner owns the company
that produces the Eco-pak and they plan to change packaging for
all future releases to the Eco-pak.

Now correct me if I am wrong, but the compact disc is supposed to
last for around 300 years.  With the Eco-pak and the other
alternative packaging employed by Sting, Bonnie Raitt, The
Grateful Dead, U2, and others (what I call the Sting-pak) the
packaging begins to deteriorate upon contact with human hands.

CDs were introduced as an indestructible medium.  They were
skipped like pebbles across asphalt and then placed in the
player sounding every bit as good as they did out of the box.
Nowadays, so much as a hairline scratch will cause maddening
skips.  Would this be due to an eventual decline in quality or an
untrue marketing campaign?

The longbox is bad and completely unnecessary.  My local dealer
says that it will cost him plenty if he had to retool his store
to support the jewelbox-only format, and he is certainly not
going to be helped by the record companies in that respect.  The
only possible thing I can think of being an improvement on the
situation is the outer packaging used by PolyGram.  As much as I
hate it (hermetically sealed in virtually indestructible
plastic), I think it is the best all-around alternative.  The
outer package can be removed for recycling by the store clerk
upon sale.  Definitely the lesser of two evils, at least.

The new U2 album is available both in jewelbox-only and Sting-pak
formats.  I learned this from my local dealer.  He ordered only
the Sting-paks (I hate to keep referring to it as that, but the
real name escapes me) because they are easier to display and
because the Peter Gabriel jewelbox-only compilation album didn't
sell very well.  I special-ordered the _Achtung_Baby_ CD in the
jewel box and I am glad I did.  I suggest that if you want the
new U2 album that you do the same if the jewel box is not readily
available in your area.  Demand only the very best when it comes
to your CDs.  You're paying YOUR 15 buckazoids, fer chrissake!

I have only three CDs in anything other than jewel boxes.

Sting-_The_Soul_Cages_

Grateful Dead-_One_From_The_Vault_

Nirvana-_Smells_Like_Teen_Spirit_ (CD5)

The packages are all wearing out.  I HATE 'EM!!!!

There is a lobby (?) group called Jewelbox Advocates and
Manufacturers.  They have an 800 number you can call to get
information on this issue.  I don't remember it, but I am sure it
is available through 800 information (no charge) or maybe someone
else who knows about it can post the number.

I have called several record companies including Warner Brothers
and A&M and I don't think my efforts have been fruitful.
However, if the CD buying public is aware of this situation and
cares about the quality of the packaging it is laying out the
bucks for, I am sure they can change the minds of the record
company executives.  Come on, folks!  They already screwed us
once with 8-tracks.  Let's don't let it happen anymore.

                                        In Kate we trust,
                                           Jody