Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK.

From: IED0DXM@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1991 12:14:00 -0800
Subject: MisK.
To: LOVE-HOUNDS@EDDIE.MIT.EDU

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

   IED would like to convey his gratitude for the very kind words
posted about him in the monthly Love-Hounds desKripTion.

 >"si les grands yeux de mon dieu ne me regardaient pas,
 >je tes reverais" --KB (and pardon my french! :))

   Your French is certainly pardoned, but it should also be corrected:

 >"Si les grands yeux de mon dieu     "If the great eyes of my God
 > Ne me gardaient pas,                Were not watching/restraining me,
 > Je te volerais"                     I would steal you away"

   This little chorus has two double-entendres in it: the verb "garder"
can mean (in the context of this song) either "'garder" (for "regarder":
to watch), or "garder": to keep, to restrain, to protect, etc.  The
verb "voler" (again, in the song's context) may be seen as
meaning either "to steal" or "to fly (steal) away (with)". It's
really very clever.

   Chris asks whether the "Hounds of Love" video is worth purchasing.
IED couldn't say, as there _is_ no "Hounds of Love" video--that is,
there is no collection on the market called "Hounds of Love".
(There is a video for the individual song called "Hounds of Love".)
   Chris may be thinking of the four-video compilation (UK and
Japan only) called "Hair of the Hound", which is _not_ recommended,
mainly because all four videos on that collection later re-appeared
as part of the longer compilation video called "The Whole Story",
which _is_ available in the U.S. both on VHS tape and on laserdisk.
"The Whole Story" video-collection is recommended.
   Also available:  "The Sensual World", a rather brief tape
(and 8-inch laserdisk) with three videos from that album as well
as some interview clips;  "Live at Hammersmith Odeon", a nearly
hour-long film of songs performed during Kate's 1979 Tour of
Life; and "The Single File", another nearly hour-long collection
of videos, many of which are also found on "The Whole Story" video.
All of these tapes are available in the U.S. (though some only if you
look hard).

   IED thanks all those who very promptly posted their descriptions
of the new "Rocket Man" video (or of as much of it as they were able
to see).  Now shouldn't all us Love-Hounds start barking and howling
down the wire to MTV's "120 Minutes" or something like that to get
them to air the video in the U.S. as soon as possible? Ideas?

   IED noticed that Drukman listened to "Rocket Man" (though--alas,
unsurprisingly--with insufficient care) at |>oug /\lan's invitation.
Since |>oug has expressed a very positive opinion of the single (at
least of the a-side), IED wonders whether there was any substantive
argument between Drukman and |>oug about the recording's merits.

-- Andrew Marvick