Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: favourite KaTe songs

From: "Dan Riley" <dsr@lns598.TN.CORNELL.EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1991 08:53:12 -0800
Subject: Re: favourite KaTe songs
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

> One (out of MANY) of my all-time most adored KaTe songs is "Ne
> T'enfuis Pas". Simply brilliant, for reasons i don;t have the time to
> expand on now. But i loved it from the first beat the first time i
> heard it! Perfect meld of lyric and music. ah... :)

Yes, absolutely great song.

> However, can anyone out there shed some light on the background to the
> song? For example, has KaTe ever talked about it at any length (or at
> all) in interviews (sounds like a question for Ron! :))? What, if
> anything, inspired it? Why in French? Was it written with the
> intention of being a "French song" (that is, to be translated into
> French) or was that decision made after it was composed? Why a
> _French_ single--was it unusual?

Here's the only thing I could find in the Garden.  It's from KaTe's
article in the thirteenth issue of the KBC newsletter:

     "Besides all the promotional activities, because of the decision
to release another single, a 'b-side' had to be written. It is always
this way for me: even if things are carefully planned, things always
happen at once--and in a big way. I've always loved the idea of singing
in a foreign language, and I thought this b-side would be a perfect
excuse for doing so.
     "Really the only language I know enough of to be able to work
creatively with is French, so I thought of all the odd words I know,
and tried to piece a story together. It's surprising how inspiring it
can be to work from a slightly different tangent.
     "The tune came straight away, and I filled in all the lines that I
had no proper words for with pseudo-French sounds. Luckily Patrick, who
worked on Lionheart with us in Superbear [Studios, in France] was
staying with Paddy to work on some tracks, so, between him and a friend
Vivienne, we worked out the complete lyrics, and Ne T'enfuis pas was
put to tape."

-dan