Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rocket Man Video

From: E Welsh <evan@castle.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1991 03:02:33 -0800
Subject: Rocket Man Video
To: rec-music-gaffa@ukc.ac.uk
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

Ok folks.

The big news is that Rocket Man has entered the Gallup charts at no 13!
This is absolutely amazing to my mind. This means it should at least peak in
the top ten. I don't think she's done that well in the singles chart since
RUTH. I knew the British public wasn't completely ignorant!

As I write this there is no sign of anyone else posting a description of
the Rocket Man video, so here goes, with apologies if somebody else gets
there first.

It was shown on the ITV Chart Show on Saturday 30/11 (that's 11/30 if you're
stateside) here in the UK.

The first thing I should say is that it is entirely in Black and White.
Does this mean she thinks she's getting old and her wrinkles won't show up
(a la Madonna)? Or is there another reason?

Quick storyboard:

Opens with Kate playing the keyboard, facing the camera. (She doesn't look
old!)

The next scene is reminiscent of Don't Give Up, with Alistair Anderson
cuddling Kate whilst playing the concertina, although this time they're
both facing the camera. The backdrop is a moon.

The video is sad in places, like in the band scenes where Alan Murphy is
conspicuous by his abscence. For anyone who doesn't know, he has passed away
since the song was recorded. An acoustic guitar sits on a chair where he
might have stood. At one point it is shown by itself and a candle burns
beside it. I thought this was a very nice touch and when I finally understood
its significance, after the 3rd or 4th time of watching, I felt very moved.
I can't decide if it is also a reference to the B side. Comments?
Kate strums (what I think is) a toy guitar (I'll be embarrassed if it turns
out to be a genuine instrument) while bopping around enthusiastically.
She's wearing a dark skirt-suit.
The rest of the band are all there, including a despondent looking Davey
Spillane. They cut the video off before the Uillean pipes kick in so
throughout the video he just sits with his pipes across his knee while
everyone else jams. In fact he looks thoroughly fed up as the video goes on.

Kate in a space helmet with a starry background and a waxing moon for a
few lines.

Kate then appears in a trouser-suit, conducting to the sea and sky.
The sea is actually a piece of billowing cloth and she makes stars explode
and the moon rise and stuff like that.
Vickie will be interested to hear that Kate has not cut her hair. In fact it
is much longer than ever before. She's facing away for the whole of this scene
and she could almost sit on it. I have to say that Audrey went green, purple,
red and pink all in the short space of time this scene lasted. Jealous? Nah!

Some more band shots and I don't think I've mentioned the two female backing
singers yet.

As I said, it cuts off before the Uillean pipes kick in, so I don't know what
happens after that. I presume we get to see how Uillean pipes are played
at last.

Apologies for not taking more time over this but I thought people would like
to know soon.

Well, that's my posting for the month!
See ya!
/ Evan Welsh                                           <evan@ed.ac.uk>\
\ Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre                (+44 31 650 5022)/