Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: More censorship

From: Desi The Three-Armed Wonder Comic <jondr@sco.COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1991 10:47:07 -0800
Subject: Re: More censorship
To: rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sco.COM

I am not katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie).  I didn't say:
>Strangely enough, for awhile I had sympathy with some of the PMRC's
>thought processes. Totally aside from government interference, legeslation
>or stores refusing to carry labeled albums, I can, from a mother's point
>of view, understand that wanting to know what goes into my child's ears
>is important. Beyond that though, my patience wears thin with these people.

OK, you admit that you are past this phase, but I want to take this
opportunity to get on my soapbox (no phosphate soap, of course) and preach
to the perverted:

If you want to know what goes into your child's ears - LISTEN!!!  My parents
have no clue what I am about, why I listen to what I do, why I like those
`weird' movies and so on.  This whole PMRC thing is just a lame excuse to
get the government to be your babysitter.  There are some incredibly good
essays on this in The Real Frank Zappa Book - I wholeheartedly recommend
this book to everyone out there.

People are so obssessed with having the Perfect Little Child Unit that they
lose sight of the fact that it's a real person with interests not
necessarily 100% congruent with the parents'.  As Frank says, "We *FUCKED*.
This came out.  Isn't it cool?  Now look how much homework it can do!"
(paraphrased but essentially accurate)

Frank also says, if you don't want kids listening to `offensive lyrics' then
support music appreciation classes for your schools.  The music budgets to
schools have been SLASHED (putting my dear father out of a job) lately.
Reverse the trend!

It seems that the government is interested in creating some sort of
state-sponsored and approved `government sanitized' heavy metal.

Interviewer: "What do the words mean?"
Brian Eno: "What do the _chords_ mean?"

--
Jon Drukman (finely honed machine)              uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
With hungered flesh obscurely, he mutely craved to adore.