Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-43 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Rocket Man, Fairlights, plastic forks ...

From: rjc@cstr.edinburgh.ac.uk
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1991 21:26:19 -0800
Subject: Re: Rocket Man, Fairlights, plastic forks ...
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

In article , N. Richard Caldwell (nrc) writes:

nrc> Somehow Kate's version seems to miss the entire point of the song
nrc> once she gets to the first chorus.  The opening seems to do a
nrc> fair job of capturing the mood, the irony of being in such a
nrc> romantic position and yet being so desperately lonely and sad.
nrc> But once we hit the chorus you have to wonder whether Kate
nrc> envisions a rasta-naut in a capsule loaded with ganja.

I suspect you have a different image of Reggae to mine. I find the
rhythmn combined with Kate's singing makes for quite a strong
impression of the loneliness in the song.

nrc> Even the quote in the CD booklet reflects what must be a
nrc> different view of the song.  Kate _wants_ to be a rocket man and
nrc> the sort of rocket man John and Taupin created is not something I
nrc> can imagine wanting to be.

I don't know, if you saw a quote from an actor saying they had always
wanted to `be' Hamlet, would you assume they thaught he was a good
thing to be or just tha they think it is a good part. That's how I
interpreted her comment anyway.

But who let the Beach Boys on there...

--
rjc@cstr.ed.ac.uk			_O_