Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

tribute week

From: viewpnt!echelon!henrik@uunet.UU.NET (Larry DeLuca)
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1991 15:47:19 -0800
Subject: tribute week
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Chrysalis Records has just announced a new tribute album to Sinead O'Connor
entitled:

	Two Albums - A Celebration of the Music and Politics of
		Sinead O'Connor

The tracks include (with comments by the artists):

	1. Nothing Compares 2 U (Prince) - "Well, the bitch wouldn't put
		out, so I took my song back."

	2. Black Boys on Mopeds (Andrew Dice Clay) - "I figured it would
		piss her off if I sang her most socially conscious song."

	3. Mandinka (Elton John) - "I can't believe no one did 'The
		Star-Spangled Banner'."

	4. Three Babies (Wilson Phillips) - "Well, there are three of us,
		and like, so it seemed to just speak to us.  Besides,
		it has a beautiful melody, and the Bland-o-Matic (TM)
		really took to it."

	5. Stretched On Your Grave (Paul McCartney) - "Well, John kept
		saying 'Paul is dead', but I got the last laugh, eh?"

	6. Jackie (Enya) - "It's such a lovely song, and you can
		never understand what she says, and that's really true
		of most of my songs, so I decided what the hell?  I
		could make up lyrics if I couldn't remember them and
		no one would know the difference."

	7. I Want Your Hands on Me (Madonna) - "So, I'm a tramp, OK?
		Get over it."

	8. Jerusalem (Phil Collins) - "I thought this one had the best
		chance of turning into a single and getting lots of
		airplay."

	9. Troy (Kate Bush) - "She is a Goddess, and I could never hope to
		do as well of her and ended up making a complete balls of it."

	10. Jump In The River (Sonny and Cher) - "Sonny: It's such a
		moving song, and I was really glad to get back together
		with Cher and do this for Sinead, who I've admired for
		the past 3 years, and I'd do anything for Cher 'cause
		she's almost as great.  Cher: Sonny, Jump in the River, OK?"

	11. The Emperor's New Clothes (Quentin Crisp) - "Well, I thought
		about merely reading a passage of _The Naked Civil Servant_,
		but the record company thought I should give this a try
		instead."

	12. Just Call Me Joe (Joe Turner) - "It's such a great honor not
		only to be asked to be on a tribute album for Sinead, who
		is totally excellent, but for me, a total newcomer, to
		appear with the likes of Kate herself.  During the sessions
		I asked her, Enya, Madonna, Cher, and Wilson Phillips out,
		and they all turned me down, but Quentin Crisp pinched my
		butt on the way out, so it wasn't a *total* loss."

					larry...