Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Rocket Man video

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1991 13:00:00 -0800
Subject: Re: Rocket Man video
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Chris here,

Jorn posted:
>When C&V got their PAL player hooked up last month, one happy discovery was
>a few extra minutes of footage from the VH-1 special, on the PAL cassette
>(autographed!) I won at the Kon last year.
>
>But over the weekend Chris noticed that the PAL case was engineered oddly,
>allowing it to be *flipped*, and on the "B" side was...
>
>A ROCKET MAN VIDEO!!!

   Just one point to clarify. This was not a VHS cassette. It was a
"V-2000" type cassette. This short-lived format was somewhat popular
in the Netherlands and the UK, but was never introduced to the US.

  It used 1/2" tape but actually recorded 1/4" in each direction
when flipped over like an audio cassette.

  Fortunately we had an old V-2000 VCR that I picked up for $10 from a
guy at the Fort Levanworth Army base, who had just returned from Germany
(I'm into collecting antique video equipment.)

  Unfortunately the tape was erased by the X-Ray machine at the airport.
(Not the X-rays, mind you, but the intense magnetic field produced by
the machine's power supply.) Sorry, but we weren't able to make a backup
copy as I didn't have the right cable to go from the PAL V-2000 to the
PAL VHS.

   Sorry if everyone had gotten their hopes up. Maybe Kate will release it.

                            Chris Williams of
                                Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                    katefans@chinet.chi.il.us