Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re:Misplaced love and TWW

From: MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1991 13:38:02 -0800
Subject: Re:Misplaced love and TWW
To: LOVE-HOUNDS@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM

Hi!

Steve confesses:

> I'm sorry to burden you lot with my problems, but there must be someone
> out there who has experienced something similar to what I'm going through.
> I only discovered Kate Bush three months ago.  Prior to this momentous
> revelation, I had assumed that I just didn't like music that much.
>
> Try to imagine what it would be like to obtain for the first time, over a
> period of three months, everything she has ever done.  Imagine listening
> to nothing else over that period.  Imagine buying books, posters and
> using up three ribbons printing "The Garden".

With the exception of printing out "The Garden", to which I didn't have access
at that point, you have just described what I went through four years ago when
I first got into KaTe.  Relax- you're not alone!  :)

> 2)  I dream about her.  In one dream she brushed against me as she was
>     leaving a stage.  In another she transformed before my eyes into a
>     Jersey cow (I can only hope that this was inspired by "Get out of my
>     House", otherwise I'm sicker than I thought).

Oooh, KaTe-dreaming!  I had some beautiful ones last year... the best of which
involved being served many soft-boiled eggs by her in my grandmother's kitchen,
which was located on my sister's former street, accompanied by my best friend.
The next morning I resolved never to eat a soft-boiled egg again.  They were
messing with my subconscious.

And your Jersey cow dream is wonderful.  I was rolling on the floor.

> 3)  I make up little fantasies about her.  In one, she sits next to me
>     on a really long flight.  More recently, I intercept sniper bullets
>     meant for her, and almost die.

Hm.  Last year my friend and I had this fantasy about my friend running into
KaTe in the produce section of a London supermarket and helping her overcome an
attack of Supermarketophobia (my friend was spending a week in London, and
seriously planned to run into KaTe on the street somewhere. Needless to say, it
didn't happen.)

> Is there a cure?  As I see it, I have never suffered the long waits
> between albums.  This passion has got to fade eventually.  Also, there's
> another ray of hope.  I bought Peter Gabriel's "So" album yesterday
> (guess why) and thought to myself "Hey, this guy's okay."

The similarities are getting frightening, Selwyn.  Next you'll be buying whole
albums just for one KaTesong, and cherishing them for the presence of that song
on it, even though the rest of the album sucks...

As far as I can tell, there isn't a cure.  If anything, it gets worse- pretty
soon you'll be finding KaTe-references everywhere, including in places they
Just Shouldn't Be, and it culminates in being introduced by your friends as
"Meet Selwyn, my friend the KaTe Bush worshipper".  There just isn't any way
out of this vortex...

...which is why Love-Hounds Anonymous exists.  :)

    Meredith Tarr           		"We let the weirdness in..."
    mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu                               -Kate Bush