Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Walk, Don't Run

From: nstar!bluemoon!bsbbs!cynthia@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Cynthia Rosas)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1991 09:59:26 -0700
Subject: Walk, Don't Run
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

nrc@bsbbs.UUCP (N. Richard Caldwell) writes:

> I'd also put in a plug for Tanita Tikaram who writes fantastic
> words, music and arrangements.  She's got a very deep voice and a
> tragically limited range but she makes the most of what she has
> and I like her a lot.  Her most recent album was a bit
> dissapointing but even it has enough tracks to recommend it if
> you should really like the first two.

I think Tikaram is quite talented.  There are many artists who
have limited ranges, yet do so very much with them.  Joan
Armatrading comes to mind, she had some measure of fame here a
few years back.  Her range was quite limited, but she wrote
songs that utilized her voice beautifully.   On a more
mainstream level, folks such as Tina Turner have a rather
limited range, but usually, she picks songs that cater to her
range and style very well.
Then you have the other end of the spectrum, people who have
very wonderful voices with fabulous ranges, who crank out the
most pop schlock white bread material one could try (not) to
imagine.  I refer to Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey.  Carey
is particularly frustrating to me, as I think that she does
have an exceptional voice.  I bought her first cd after I'd
heard Vision of LOve (the single) which I thought was
gorgeous.  I was sorely disappointed with the rest of the
entire cd, and have been nauseated by the latest single she's
got out off her new cd.  What a waste of a powerful, wide
ranged voice.    All this in my own humble opinion of course.

The point is, as long as a singer utilizes their gifts, they
need not have operatic range to be effective and affective.
It's true that a wide range may give the singer more options.
For example, Linda ROnstadt, whether you like or don't like
her material (which has run the gamut from country to opera to
pop to Spanish) has been able to tackle a number of different
styles effectively because her voice gives her many options.
Let's say, as opposed toTina Turner, who is stylistically
limited by her voice, or Bonnie Raitt, who has a very nice
voice also, but is better suited a couple of genres.
Well, whatever, just musing....

Cynt  (Cynthia Rosas of Orlando)

"You are a raving bitch!"  One of my biggest fans

----
Cynthia Rosas <cynthia@bsbbs.UUCP> <{n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!cynthia>
The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)