Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Dio connection & Cockney Rebjects

From: MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1991 15:17:31 -0700
Subject: Re: Dio connection & Cockney Rebjects
To: LOVE-HOUNDS@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM

Hi!

Chris writes:

>   I guess everyone forgot the obvious Kate and Ronnie James Dio connection;
>that Jimmy Bain, one of the legion of bassists on _The Dreaming_, was the
>bass player in Dio. There seems to be little overlap between Kate fans and
>Heavy Metal fans, but one of our old correspondents from California, Wayne
>Henderson, has a dream of seeing Kate and Ronnie James Dio singing a duet.

"Little overlap"?  I may be out on another planet on this one, but isn't KaTe
often mentioned in certain HM magazines?  And I don't know about you, but a
large number of the KaTefans at the KonvenTion last year looked like metalheads
to me.  Not to attach the long-haired-and-denim stereotype here, but I saw
quite a few metal patches interspersed with the KT's on quite a few jackets!

Evan replies:

> My impression of HM fans (good grief I'm married to one!) is that they are
> no less open-minded than the next person (not that you implied they're
> not open-minded). KaTe's releases are _always_ reviewed in the HM press and

whoa, that answers my question right there! :)

> in my experience they are just as likely to dedicate a whole article on KaTe
> as the rest of the music press. The reviews are rarely unsympathetic I might
> add. In fact they are usually raves.
>
> If none of this rings true then perhaps, like HM music, there are
> differences between HM fans on opposite sides of the Atlantic.

Actually, Evan, you may be right- but I KonverTed an American metalhead last
year, so there may still be hope after all... :)

Meredith Tarr			"Oh yes I know I'm always falling,
mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu	 Gazing at hazy goldfish in your swimming eyes"
Wesleyan University						-Kate Bush