Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds Digest #7.330

From: Zimri Smith <ST701790@brownvm.brown.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1991 14:05:47 -0700
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest #7.330
To: LOVE-HOUNDS@EDDIE.MIT.EDU

Scott Fisher (I think) is after that flute sound that floats
all over the damn place. I'm not sure of the spelling (as I'm at a
computer center, not in my apt., where I could check it), but the
original instrument is a Japanese flute called a shakuachi (or shakuhachi,
or shakhuachi, or something like that) flute. Since it's probably a
sample, it could come from anyplace, and end up on any sampling
keyboard or in any keyboard that can play samples. If you're trying
to find a sound on a keyboard that closely approximates this ubiquitous
sound, try poking around with ones names something like the above-listed
variations. Also, if you have a keyboard and are trying to get the same
sound, try starting with a wood-flute sound, jack up the pitch modulation,
and halfway through the note, while you're still holding down the key,
briefly hit the key an octave above it. (This works -sort of- on my
Kawai K-1.)

   It's possible that the sound  came out of a Fairlight outputting
to an 8-bit filter designed to cut off harmonics, then fattened up
with a stacked Akai sample of a Minimoog and a PAIA synth, fed into
a Casio SK-1, output to a Mac to hoover away the digital grit, re-
sampled at Kurzweil and output to a demo-disk soundpage insert in
the Social Register, from which it was sampled back into a Fairlight,
and played back through a custom filter designed by Tom Scholz of the
late, great band, Boston.

I hope that settles that.

Yo.

                   Zim Smith (ST701790@brownvm.brown.edu)