Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Dio connection & Cockney Rebjects

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1991 01:31:00 -0700
Subject: Dio connection & Cockney Rebjects
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Subject: Shocked Elfs & Portugueseenels etc.

Chris here,

J. Fingerle posted:
>> I always assumed "In Excelsis Dio", figuring IED and U2 (see _Gloria_)
>> meant Ronnie James Dio.

   I guess everyone forgot the obvious Kate and Ronnie James Dio connection;
that Jimmy Bain, one of the legion of bassists on _The Dreaming_, was the
bass player in Dio. There seems to be little overlap between Kate fans and
Heavy Metal fans, but one of our old correspondents from California, Wayne
Henderson, has a dream of seeing Kate and Ronnie James Dio singing a duet.
Oh well....at least he wouldn't tower over her.

Neil Calton posted:
>> The Cockney Rejects were (maybe still are) a punk band who appeared
>> around the time of the Pistols, Clash, Damned etc. in the UK. They
>> had a few minor hits.

and Vickie asked:
> Are you thinking of The Cockney Rebels? Some of whom were on _The Kick
> Inside_?

  I remember both. I think _Rejects_ was an intentional slam at _Rebels_.
"Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel" never had any hits in the US. My older
brother had a good collection of his stuff and I quite was quite fond of
some of it. Harley was the third artist in the Bill Duffield memorial
concert with Kate and Peter Gabriel.

                                    Chris Williams of
                                        Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                            katefans@chinet.chi.il.us

   "Do yer fancy the lead singer Betty?" "OOH, I think e's gleat!"