Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

a third try to mail some inane comments

From: fingerle@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL (J. Fingerle)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1991 05:33:03 -0700
Subject: a third try to mail some inane comments
To: love-hounds@eddie.MIT.EDU
Cc: fingerle@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL

I've been kinda quiet lately (or is that bored?) so I thought
I'd impart to you all some of my recent thoughts.

>Rifle clicks?  I've learned yet another thing from Love-Hounds.

The discussion of this topic started about two weeks ago and
originally concerned some people's attempts to explain a trivial
concept, ie., reproducing any sound on your latest record.
Why does it seem so strange for KaTe to have taped a bolt
click, or possibly dragged the Fairlight out for a sample?
Didja ever hear the Beach Boys song "409" that starts with a
revving engine?  Brian Wilson simply miked his car engine and
captured the sound on tape.  And this was in 1963.
Maybe Kate didn't even have to sample the gun click.
Maybe she used a sound effect from EMI.  Ya know the crowd
noise that opens up Sgt. Pepper?  Well hang on to your hats,
folks, the Beatles took that from an Abbey Road storage cabinet.
Surely there are other things we could discuss...

Such as...

>larry@csccat.cs.com (Larry Spence) among others, mentions
>Kirsty MacColl
>I haven't heard _Kite_ or any->thing else she's done

Get _Kite_!  I was highly disappointed with _Electric Land Lady_.
Strangely, I started out liking ELL and upon repeated listenings,
I like it less and less.

>Ben Discoe wonders...
>3. I'm more into the Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance etc.
>   Is this the place for me or should I get lost?

Yes, yes, yes, please stay and talk about anyone.  Dare I say
that I'm actually getting tired of KaTe talk?  Nah, I'd
better not say that.

I'm in an adventurous mood of late, could someone please
recommend the queinessential (sp?) Cocteau Twins' cd?
What are they like?  Same for Lush, anyone got some thoughts
on them?

>Kjetil T. questions...
>Was anyone else disgusted with the stickers on the new Guns and
>Roses albums?

Uh, no, not really, but that might be because I was once a
hard rock guitarist know it all and I had the same annoying
intolerance Axel, et al, display.  Fortunately, _...Ilussion I
and II_ are excellent   IMVHO.

Kudos to you, |<jetil, you get the J Fingerle memorial diversity
award.  From New age to G'n'R to KaTe?  Hah! that rivals my own
diverse tastes.  Tho, for the record, New Age sucks...

Surely there must be more valuable subjects we could chew up
bandwidth discussing...for instance, what does "gaffa" mean?

Yours in sarcasm (my feet are moving slo-mo, am I suspended
in sarcasm...?)
Jimmy

name:  Jimmy                                    The end doesn't always
email: fingerle@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL                justify the jeans.
-or-   fingerle@NADC.NAVY.MIL                          -unknown

P. S.  BTW, the Beach Boys album 'Pet Sounds' has nothing to do
with animals, it was inspired by Brian Wilson's tape collection
of his favorite sounds, ie his "pet" sounds.