Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Laurie A. Interview and Sarah McLachlan

From: <@EDDIE.MIT.EDU:wonga@ee470.EE.McGill.CA>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1991 13:45:42 -0700
Subject: Laurie A. Interview and Sarah McLachlan
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Illegal-Object: Syntax error in From: address found on wiretap.Spies.COM:From: allen wong[91B] <wonga@ee470.EE.McGill.CA> ^ ^-missing end of mailbox \-extraneous tokens in mailbox

Hi !

I've been passively reading r.m.gaffa for a couple months now and I would
like to thank you regular posters for all the information about Kate and
other artists.

The reason I've decided to post is because of the this amazing coincidence:

woj@remus.rutgers.edu writes:
>i have a recording of an interview with laurie anderson conducted by
>brant bambury and your observation is extremely evident after listening
>to what she has to say about her work.

Brent Bambury is the host of Brave New Waves, a CBC radioshow.
IMHO Brave New Waves is the best radioshow on the air (locally at least).
They play a very wide range of music, alternative, industrial, rap and much
much more. BNW is sort of the opposite of all of the commercial stations
around here. I can't stand listening to any commercial stations.

I heard this interview live back in 1989. Back then I was not a serious music
listener.
I do remember seeing the HoL and TSW videos back then, but I really wasn't
a KaTefan.

I don't have a tape of this and I only have a vague recollection off it, but
I do remember that she talked about taking voice lessons and that the cover
pic of _Strange_Angels_ was by Robert Mapplethorpe. Of course they did talk
about many other things, but I don't remember.

What makes this a even bigger coincidence is that Brent did a profile of
KaTe on the same show !!!
I'm sure that he played at least Experiment IV and Deeper Understanding, and
possibly a few others, but I don't remember.
Do you have this part of the show too, woj? The KaTe profile was on just before
the Laurie Anderson interview.

Anyways, I hope I can write again soon. I've seen and heard some Sarah
McLachlan interviews that might shed some light on what is happening with
her and Arista. I'm very busy right now so I probably won't be posting
anything until the weekend.

Maybe the squids at Arista are holding _Solace_ back because they figured out
that _Black_ is about them!! (more later)

Sorry if this post seems confusing... I'm in a confused state of mind.

Berton Wong (temporarily at wonga@ee470.ee.mcgill.ca,
             my brother Allen's account)

"If I cry the rivers of all my confessions,
 would I drown in my shallow regret?"
         - Sarah McLachlan, _Black_ from _Solace_
           (not sure if this is right, it's from memory)