Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: male p.o.v. songs

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1991 10:16:25 -0700
Subject: Re: male p.o.v. songs
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Dan Riley asks:

>Umm, what's specifically male about "Mother Stands for Comfort"?  I don't
>see anything, so what am I missing?

Well, you could look at the words "murderer" and "madman" from either
perspective, though both are masculine.  However, there are sources outside
the song:

>From the HoL-era interview found on the picturedisk CBAK 4011:

Kate:  No, not at all.  I mean, she's a wonderful mother, but
the song's dealing with a different energy, really.  I mean
it's about a mother and her strong maternal, protective
instincts, but it's dealing with some--a son who's committed
a bad crime.  And to her, her instincts overrule what's right
or wrong.  I think that's what's interesting--it's how some
mothers will actually overrule their sense of morality
because they love their son or their child so much.

The song is clearly sung in the first person ("She thinks that I was with
my friends yesterday, but she won't mind me lying") and, as this interview
bit shows, the song deals with a son and a mother.

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |